From: Steve Elkins sgelkins@mercury.interpath.com
Subject: Installation Problems
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 11:53:38 -0500	[thread overview]

I have installed the 3-disk system on my PC, but when I try
starting Plan 9, I don't even reach VGA hell.  I've tried 2
ways of running plan9\b

1.  plan9\b  (from c:\)
    This gets me to the 'File System Installation' window,
    the beginning of the process I think I just finished.

2.  plan9\b  s!0!boot  (from c:\)
    This shot in the dark, cooked up after reading parts of
    section 8 of the manual, seems to take me farther, but
    ultimately it fails, too.  I see...

    scsi0: aha1542: port 330 irq 11, dma 5
    root is from (local, 9600, 19200, il) [local!#w0/sd0disk:32]:
    user [none]:

    I take the defaults and see something very like...

    fs...kfs init 3: can't open #w0/sd0disk32
    boot: mount: write to hungup stream
    panic: boot process died: unknown

    ...followed by several lines of hex numbers that I'll be glad
    to provide if they'll help someone help me.

More information:
The scsi line above is correct.  I am using a BusLogic 946C
host adapter.  Plan 9 recognizes my 2 scsi disks well enough
to allow me to choose either as the target of the installation
process.  I have a dos partition on scsi0 that takes a 3rd of
1 GB.  The rest is unallocated, as is the whole of scsi1.  I'm
using a version of the distribution I ftp'd on 28 November.

Here are a few lines from plan9\plan9.ini that may be relevant:
scsi0=type=aha1542 port=0x330
bootfile=sd!0!/plan9/9dos
rootdir=/plan9
bootdisk=#w0/sd0disk:32

Of course, I'll provide any other information I can, but I'm
not sure what else might help, so I'll hope to be asked.

Thanks.

--
Steve Elkins  -->  sgelkins@mercury.interpath.com