* Beginner questions re h/w and network config.
@ 1995-12-21 20:28 Steve
From: Steve @ 1995-12-21 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 2)  I *think* that I saw a reference in the archives to being able to
>     run a combined "cpu + terminal" server on a PC.  Am I dreaming, or
>     is it possible to run a 2 computer network?  Upon going back, I
>     haven't been able to  find what I thought I read.

from the faq at http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/plan9faq.html

  avg@postman.ncube.com (Vadim Antonov) has provided some information on
  converting terminals into multi-user hybrid cpu servers and terminals.
  For his posting to 9fans, see
  http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/info/misc/cpu_terminal

> 3)  Assuming that the answer to #2 above is "you can", will the fileserver
>     portion run properly on a 386 or 486sx w/o a co-processor?  My plan
>     for the 2nd system would be a used 386 box to stuff with a scsi
>     controller and fat disc.

I _think_ I read that the fileserver will work fine without an fp unit.

* Beginner questions re h/w and network config.
@ 1995-12-21 15:24 Steven
From: Steven @ 1995-12-21 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I brought up the 4-floppy distribution on a borrowed laptop (and an $8
mouse) last night to play with before committing to the full
distribution.  This is indeed cool stuff...  I'll be ordering as soon as
the bookstores are safe to go into again.  Probably 27 Dec. :)

My questions:

1)  Since I'll be buying hardware for the specific purpose of running
    Plan9, it's a bit difficult to test the config beforehand.  I've been
    limiting my choices based on available info, but I'd like to know
    if anyone has any experiences to report, good or bad, with the
    Cyrix 5x86 (nee M1sc)?

2)  I *think* that I saw a reference in the archives to being able to
    run a combined "cpu + terminal" server on a PC.  Am I dreaming, or
    is it possible to run a 2 computer network?  Upon going back, I
    haven't been able to  find what I thought I read.

3)  Assuming that the answer to #2 above is "you can", will the fileserver
    portion run properly on a 386 or 486sx w/o a co-processor?  My plan
    for the 2nd system would be a used 386 box to stuff with a scsi
    controller and fat disc.

Thanks in advance for any info

Steve

 Steven Rezsutek     301 513 0025      Steven.Rezsutek@gsfc.nasa.gov
 QSS Group, Inc.  4920 Niagara Rd.  Suite 204  College Park, MD  20740