* More ATAPI questions
@ 1995-12-22 20:23 jim
From: jim @ 1995-12-22 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Did you add the T device to your config file before you made the kernel?

You're right in that devatapi was originally written by Alberto Nava. I don't
recommend its use, it's not very robust, especially in the presence of
interrupts from the keyboard. And yes, it shouldn't be T, it should probably
be merged into the sbcd driver.

Sender: cse.psu.edu!owner-9fans

I know that devatapi.c in the latest boddle for 9/pc is based on a
driver by Alberto Nava. Didn't the original driver use a code '#T'
for ATAPI drives?
   The Plan 9 manual mentions kprof using '#T'. That would appear to
me to cause a potential conflict if it weren't for the fact that, on
my system, "ls '#T' ' doesn't show anything at all.
   I've installed the boddle, added "cdrom0=type=atapi port=0x170
irq=15" to plan9.ini. So  where's '#T'? And if it isn't '#T', what is
the proper code?
   Along more trivial lines, is there a name for file names that
begin with '#'? The documentation only refers to them as "roots of a
file tree implemented by a kernel device driver". This is rather
cumbersome, rather like "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince".

* More ATAPI questions
@ 1995-12-22 23:19 Luther
From: Luther @ 1995-12-22 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-12-22 19:14 td
From: td @ 1995-12-22 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Luther Huffman, Jr." <mail.infinet.com!lutherh> wonders:
>   Along more trivial lines, is there a name for file names that
>begin with '#'? The documentation only refers to them as "roots of a
>file tree implemented by a kernel device driver". This is rather
>cumbersome, rather like "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince".

Funny you should mention it.  They used to be called `kernel devices',
but then they had a fit of arty pretentiousness and changed their
name to ☺.  The press release explained that from now on, while
this was the preferred typography, the UTF-unaware could refer to
them as `the files formerly known as kernel devices.'