* New Installation
@ 1996-01-27 17:57 R.D.Thomas
From: R.D.Thomas @ 1996-01-27 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, I just got my cdrom installation to a disk drive (finally after
trying many combinations since my drive was just slightly shorter than 520MB).
Now I want to copy it all over to a 504MB drive minus 10MB for the DOS
partition at the front.  What is the best way to copy from the large drive?

	Email reply appreciated.  Thanks.

Dale
                                            |      mailto:rdt@kaiwan.com  |

* New installation
@ 1995-03-17  0:48 Christopher.Vance
From: Christopher.Vance @ 1995-03-17  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just received a CD-ROM for the first time.  I don't have any dedicated hardware available for file or cpu servers, and am hoping to use u9fs as a file server on a Unix machine which has lots of other things to do to.

My computer centre copied the CD-ROM onto a Solaris Sun for me, but all the files lack the appropriate filenames, ownerships, and permissions.

I have compiled u9fs, but am unsure whether it's configured properly.

I hope to correct the file names by borrowing a CD-ROM drive, running 9sscd on my Sparc ELC, and writing the corrected information to u9fs.  A quick look at the code for u9fs (to an untrained eye) suggests it obeys wstat syscalls.

In the mean time, I want to get the floppy 9dos version working.  (I don't want to ask my computer centre to install a privileged program without checking it out first, so I've got the server running on my [Solaris] Sun with read-only access to the partition holding the files.)

I'm using a 486dx2/66 with a 3c509 ethernet card.

By comparing the floppy versions of /rc/bin/termrc and /lib/ndb/local with those copied off the CD-ROM I've discovered the need to add my pc's ethernet and ip address to local, and to send 'add tcp udp il' to /net/cs.  When I try telnet, however, I get timed out, and when I try running arpd with debugging or check /net/arp/stats, I get only misses, no hits.

Any hints what I should look for?  Should I try snooping the ethernet to see what packets are really there?  Or is there yet another subtle something I've missed in the way things are supposed to work.

-- Christopher