* SPARC installation
@ 1996-01-30  4:13 Christopher.Vance
From: Christopher.Vance @ 1996-01-30  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a PC (without CD-ROM drive) running the 4-disk version of Plan 9.
I have the 1993 and 1995 CD-ROMs and images of them (without proper
ownership and protections) on a Unix server.  (These can only be read by
me.)

I've been trying to follow the instructions from the 1993 version to
install the 1995 version from a SPARC IPC terminal (with a borrowed CD-ROM
drive) onto a SPARCstation 2 file server.

My problem appears to be the IP configuration on the terminal.  The PC
terminal connects to the file server, but it knows its IP address by the
time ipconfig is called.  The SPARC terminal fails apparently since the
CD-ROM doesn't know the terminal's IP address when the first ipconfig is
called.  Even when I do an explicit ipconfig after I get an rc prompt, it
fails.

When I check '#'P/ipifc on the SPARC terminal, the first line uses address
0.0.0.0, and the address specified to the explicit ipconfig appears on the
second line.  When the file server mentions port allocation for the
terminal when I do a srv, it shows the source address (from the terminal)
as 0.0.0.0.  This presumably explains why the IL reply doesn't go to the
terminal, and why the connection times out.

Can I do something on the SPARC terminal to change the primary IP address
for its ethernet?  ipconfig doesn't seem to do this.  I have spent some
time reading source, but don't understand all the details yet.
Alternatively, can I get an existing Unix bootp server to answer the
question sent by the initial ipconfig?  (I know some usage of bootp by
Plan 9 checks that the bootp server was also Plan 9, but that's not the
server we use.)

-- Christopher

only message in thread, other threads:[~1996-01-30  4:13 UTC | newest]