* CD-Rom configuration
@ 1996-02-20  0:10 Thomas
From: Thomas @ 1996-02-20  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I finally received the CD-ROM from Harcourt Brace, etc...

So, now I'm going through the throes of trying to get
the stuff off of CD-Rom.

Here's what I've run into.
1. I had an old SoundBlaster card (before SoundBlaster-16). So
   I upgraded to SoundBlaster-16
2. The new SoundBlaster-16 only have an ide connector - they don't
   have the way cool 4 proprietary pinouts.
3. Ok, so that says I should configure the CD-ROM as an IDE, right?
4. I install the CD-ROM under DOS.   It tells me that its talking
   on 0x168 (quarternairy) IRQ 10.  And in fact, I can change directories
   to the "E:" drive and actually do a nice little dir... and get what
   looks like the right stuff.

5. Here's the strange part... when I configure the CD-ROM from the
   "blue screen of configuration" as an ATAPI (IDE) on 0x168, IRQ 10,
   it never generates any information in plan9.ini.  I know that other
   changes I make are reflected there.

6. When I try to install from the CD-Rom to the local drive - all of the
   options I choose either hang or tell me that I didn't configure any
   such drive.

I'm wondering, is there a magic incantation that I can put into plan9.ini
so that it will understand that cdrom0 is a ide cd-rom on port 0x168, irq 10?

If so, would someone be kind enough to send me the information?

If not, has anyone successfully read the cd off of a scsi cd-rom?

-Tom

---- Where theory and reality meet.
---- Thomas Riemer, triemer@wesleyan.edu

* CD-Rom configuration
@ 1996-03-26  1:16 Michael
From: Michael @ 1996-03-26  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

m In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.960219185943.22375A-100000@babbitt>, Thomas Riemer
wr
ites:

@ 1996-02-20  1:27 jim
From: jim @ 1996-02-20  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

the install script should have placed a line in plan9.ini like
	ata3=irq=10
that's all that is needed. if it's not there then either one of us
blew it or the cd-rom you have doesn't answer correctly. the device
should be /dev/atapi6disk.

which brand and model of cd-rom do you have?
is it jumpered correctly as a master (windows will probably find it
even if it is jumpered as a slave)?