* Can't get DNS to do remote query
@ 1996-02-20  9:54 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1996-02-20  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

%  ndb/dnsquery
> pyramid ip
pyramid ip	134.197.40.253
> pogonip ip
!dns: not found

what happens if you use the true (ie, fully qualified) domain name of the machine?

* Can't get DNS to do remote query
@ 1996-02-20  5:53 ed
From: ed @ 1996-02-20  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have not been able to get DNS to make connections or calls
to my name server.  I have tried various rearrangements of
stuff in /lib/ndb/local to no avail.  As long as the IP address
is in /lib/ndb/local I have no problem accessing the remote system
with rx, con, mail, etc.  /lib/ndb/global is empty, no hash
files are inplace and I am not running any authenication service.

For example:

%  sed 20q /lib/ndb/local
#
#  systems
#
dom =
	ns=pyramid.cs.unr.edu
	ns=134.197.40.101
dom=pyramid.cs.unr.edu ip=134.197.40.253
sys = pyramid
	dom=pyramid.cs.unr.edu
	ip=134.197.40.253
	ipmask=255.255.255.0
	ipgw=134.197.40.240
sys = eros1
	dom=eros.cs.unr.edu
	ip=134.197.40.50
	ipgw=134.197.40.253
	proto=il
sys = washoe
	dom=washoe.cs.unr.edu
	ip=134.197.40.61 ether=004090801822

%  ndb/dnsquery
> pyramid ip
pyramid ip	134.197.40.253
> pogonip ip
!dns: not found

The above failure produced the error in the screen:

washoe Fed 19 21:38 can't get udp port

twice.  If I put a soa entry after the first dom = in local
the call still fails but the error message does not appear.
>From watching my isdn line it is not sending anything to
the network.  But an echo client using udp  works fine if
it sends to system with IP address in /lib/ndb/local.
washoe is the name of the plan 9 system.

Can some one send the head of a working local file that
makes dns happy about contacting a remote ns server?

Ed Wishart, ed@cs.unr.edu