* Can't get dns to work
@ 1996-03-04 15:50 Dave
From: Dave @ 1996-03-04 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

at the very least...

#
#  external internet domain service
#
dom=
	ns=A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
dom=A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=198.41.0.4
dom=B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=128.9.0.107
dom=C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.33.4.12
dom=D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=128.8.10.90
dom=E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.203.230.10
dom=F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.5.5.241 ip=39.13.229.241
dom=G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.112.36.4
dom=H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=128.63.2.53
dom=I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.36.148.17

If you would rather a different name server for the root,
use this instead

dom=
	ns=ns1.infinet.com
	ns=ns2.infinet.com

dom=ns1.infinet.com ip=206.103.240.1
dom=ns2.infinet.com ip=206.103.240.2

If you'ld still like to point to the real root servers but
point to infinet.com's server for infinet domain names:

dom=
	ns=A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
dom=A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=198.41.0.4
dom=B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=128.9.0.107
dom=C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.33.4.12
dom=D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=128.8.10.90
dom=E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.203.230.10
dom=F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.5.5.241 ip=39.13.229.241
dom=G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.112.36.4
dom=H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=128.63.2.53
dom=I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.36.148.17

dom=infinet.com
	ns=ns1.infinet.com
	ns=ns2.infinet.com

dom=ns1.infinet.com ip=206.103.240.1
dom=ns2.infinet.com ip=206.103.240.2

Pointers to domain name servers are of the form:

dom=yyy.zzz
	ns=xxx1
	ns=xxx2
	ns=xxx3

This means that for any name in the name hierarchy that is
at or below yyy.zzz, use the name servers xxx1, xxx2, and xxx3
unless a more specific match is found.

Of course, this is just seeding a cache.  If more authoritative
info comes back from a dns name server, it will be used instead.

If you want to be the name server for a domain, then add
a soa= in the tuple.  For example, we implement the bell-labs.com
domain and /lib/ndb/local has the following:

#
#  external internet domain service
#
dom=
	ns=A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
	ns=I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
dom=A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=198.41.0.4
dom=B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=128.9.0.107
dom=C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.33.4.12
dom=D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=128.8.10.90
dom=E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.203.230.10
dom=F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.5.5.241 ip=39.13.229.241
dom=G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.112.36.4
dom=H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=128.63.2.53
dom=I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET ip=192.36.148.17

#
#  lucent name servers
#
dom=bell-labs.com soa=
	ns=ns.research.att.com
	ns=achille.research.att.com
	ns=castro.bell-labs.com
	ns=divisadero.bell-labs.com
	mx=divisadero.bell-labs.com pref=2
	mx=castro.bell-labs.com pref=1
dom=*.bell-labs.com
	mx=divisadero.bell-labs.com pref=2
	mx=castro.bell-labs.com pref=1

Cheers...

* Can't get dns to work
@ 1996-03-03 19:08 Luther
From: Luther @ 1996-03-03 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, all.
   It seems that once a week there is a question about how to get DNS
to work. It appears that this week is my turn.
   I'm using pppclient to give me dial-up ppp to my internet service
provider. My machine is a standalone PC.
   I have been able to use everything (mothra, ftpfs, telnet, etc.)
provided that my /lib/ndb/local file has an entry for the site to
which I'm connecting. DNS can't seem to find either of my domain name
servers. I have both 'ndb/cs' and 'ndb/dns' in my termrc, thinking
that perhaps CS and DNS need to have an "active" /net/tcp to properly
initialize, I've even tried 'ndb/cs' and 'ndb/dns' in a script to be
started after the ppp connection is made. Nothing works. I keep
getting a "can't translate address message". Here's an interesting
clue: when I try connecting to an address, a message appears on my
screen background "gnot [current date and time] can't connect udp".
   Having tried every combination of invoking CS and DNS, I wish to
start tinkering more with /lib/ndb/local. Bearing in mind that I use
dynamic ip addressing, what should an entry for my system look like?
My ISP's domain name is infinet.com.
My domain name servers are:
ns=ns1.infinet.com ip=206.103.240.1
ns=ns2.infinet.com ip=206.103.240.2
I can't predict in advance what my ip addresses will be but I can
determine them easily by reading /net/ipifc.
I can't even predict in advance what my full domain name will be, but
my system name is of the form: day-pXXX.infinet.com, where XXX is some
number.
   Has anyone been down this road before? Any suggestions as to what
my ndb/local entry should look like?

Luther