* Headless SPARC as File/Auth server?
@ 1996-03-06  5:52 alex
From: alex @ 1996-03-06  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a headless SS2 with approx. 1GB (424MB+500MB) that I would like
to use as a file/auth server. I have been running a standalone SS2
quite successfully in the past, but am not that familiar with the FS
requirements. Can anyone share some experiences?

Thanks.

Alex.
alex@p9.com.

* Headless SPARC as File/Auth server?
@ 1996-03-07  8:16 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1996-03-07  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you can scare up another system for plan9, use one of them as a 'real'
> fileserver and follow the directions in the document "Installing the Plan 9
> Distribution" at http://plan9.att.com/plan9/vol2.html
> You should also read fs(8), fsconfig(8), and pay attention to the "see also"
> sections.

Bear in mind also that the 9ssfs kernel is known to work only on a
SPARCstation 2 (/The Various Ports/), so check that whatever extra
machine you find is suitable. I wasted a lot of time with an SLC before
noticing this. :-)

steve

* Headless SPARC as File/Auth server?
@ 1996-03-06 14:55 steve
From: steve @ 1996-03-06 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can use it as a file server, or you can use it as a cpu/auth server,
but you can't use it as a file/auth server (the fs runs a different kernel).
If you only have 1 plan9 system to work with, but you have Unix systems also,
you could run your SS2 as a cpu&auth server, and use u9fs on a Unix box
as your file server. see http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/info/u9fs