* bootpc - udp port 68
@ 1996-03-07 18:35 Tim
From: Tim @ 1996-03-07 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can some kind soul help me ?

What is the

udp=bootpc      port=68
service in /lib/ndb/local on the CD ?

I'm trying to bring up a small network, but I can't get hold of a real file
server, so I'm using u9fs on a Solaris Sparc.

Installing the CD to u9fs worked fine, but I can't get the terminal to use it

as root.

Initially my problem was that tcp did not appear in the list of options
for root fileservers. I fixed that by creating a bootp server on an HP system
(Solaris seems not to support bootp). The terminal PC now tftp's 9pc fine,
and tcp appears in the "root from" question, but whatever answer I give
the terminal never talks to the u9fs server. Snooping the ethernet shows

that after I hit return to the root from question it sends udp/68 packets
to the system that it booted from - it never gets an answer since no one
is listening on the port.

I looked in the docs and the CD and all I could find was the line in

/lib/ndb/local mentioned above.

What am I doing wrong ?

Tim.

only message in thread, other threads:[~1996-03-07 18:35 UTC | newest]