* SMTP mail warning
@ 1996-03-11  6:40 postmaster
From: postmaster @ 1996-03-11  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

  ---------- diagnosis ----------
SMTP diagnosis, WWIS Version 3.09 :

Not-Delivered-To: bharat!@bharat:karth@eggshel2
	Due to: Message Transfer Agent Congestion
	(Cannot reach host. Delivery attempts will continue.)

Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 16:34:38 -0500
To: cse.psu.edu!9fans (9fans)
Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu

I've finally gotten through the majority of installation hurdles
and gotten a machine up and running...

So here is the list of neophyte questions that I have:
1. Where is the equivalent of the "rc" files... i.e. where do I put
stuff so that things like "listen" get run automatically when the machine
boots.

2. I set up dns by running ndb/dns - this seemed to give me some
form of nameservice.  If I understand the manuals correctly, this starts
up a domain name server on the machine.   Is there an equivalent to
the /etc/resolv.conf idea of just specifying a domain server without
running a local name server?  BTW, the way the nameserver is running
currently it only seems to resolve fully qualified names...I presume
this is because it doesn't know what domain it is in...
cat /dev/hostdomain produces nothing... how do I tell it what domain it
is in?  presumeably its in /lib/ndb/local.

3. How do I "disable anonymous access"... The FAQ points to the -N
option in aux/telnetd... but where does one specify this -N?  (I just
answered this myself -despite the FAQ being vague... in /bin/service)

4. Who maintains the FAQ?

-Tom

---- Where theory and reality meet.
---- Thomas Riemer, triemer@wesleyan.edu

* SMTP mail warning
@ 1996-03-11  6:40 postmaster

 1. Where is the equivalent of the "rc" files... i.e. where do I put
 stuff so that things like "listen" get run automatically when the machine
 boots.

/rc/bin/termrc for terminals
/rc/bin/cpurc for cpu servers

 2. I set up dns by running ndb/dns - this seemed to give me some
 form of nameservice.  If I understand the manuals correctly, this starts
 up a domain name server on the machine.   Is there an equivalent to
 the /etc/resolv.conf idea of just specifying a domain server without
 running a local name server?  BTW, the way the nameserver is running
 currently it only seems to resolve fully qualified names...I presume
 this is because it doesn't know what domain it is in...
 cat /dev/hostdomain produces nothing... how do I tell it what domain it
 is in?  presumeably its in /lib/ndb/local.

We only use fully qualified names.  Sorry.

We never did a separate resolver.