* (none)
@ 1996-03-11 13:30 Michael
From: Michael @ 1996-03-11 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

In comp.os.plan9 you write:

>Thomas Riemer <triemer@babbitt.bernstein.com> wrote:
>> 4. Who maintains the FAQ?

>I do. Isn't my name at the top of it? If not, where did you get it from?

speaking for myself, I haven't seen the faq.  or is that the document
that's mostly a copy of other stuff from the att pages, that is more
of a 'where'd it come from' as opposed to a 'how do I make it work'
file?

I'm trying to get the test distribution up and running, but finding a
compatable video card is .... while not killing me, surely leaving big
gaping wounds...
                -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Michael Masterson                                            mjm@wru.org

* (none)
@ 1997-01-30  0:24 Brandon
From: Brandon @ 1997-01-30  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

A pop3 mail server should be trivial to implement in C on plan 9, with the
exception of one point: Authentication.  Most pop3 implementations use
"USER" and "PASS" to authenticate themselves by transmitting  cleartext
passwords across the network.  Obviously, cleartext passwords will not do
for plan 9 (well, you could do it, buy why???).

According to RFC's 1734 and 1731 (POP AUTHentication command and IMAP
Authentication methods, respectively), there is an "AUTH" command in POP3
which can be used to implement more secure authentication methods.  The
methods listed in 1731 include kerberos, GSSAPI, and S/Key.

It would be possible to make an "AUTH SecureNet" POP3 AUTH method, but the
clients would have to be modified to know to send this authentication
type... Also, I'm not sure if any widely used pop clients implement the
AUTH SKEY protocol, but if they do, you could use that... simply have the
plan 9 pop3 server transmit the SecureNet challenge in place of the SKey
sequence number, and the user reponds with his securenet answer instead of
the skey answer.  If there was a client out there that support skey
authentication, and prompted the user with the sequence number... that
could conceivably work.....

brandon

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Kai  Radicke wrote:

> Tom if you ever find one (a POP server) can you please notify me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kai M. Radicke -- mowogmg@dynanet.com
> http://www.dynanet.com/~mowogmg
>
> Webmaster -- webking@bigfoot.com
> Phat Enterprises -- http://www.dynanet.com/~mowogmg/phat/default.htm
>

> ----------
> > From: tab@cisco.COM
> > Newsgroups: comp.os.plan9
> > Subject: (none)
> > Date: Thursday, January 23, 1997 9:16 AM
> >
> > I'm looking for a POP server for plan9.  Any clues?
> >
> > Tom Bohannon
> > Cisco Systems
> > tab@cisco.com

.................................             ..............
: Brandon Lee Black  : [Office] :.............: [Personal] :....
:....................: brandon.black@wcom.com : photon@nol.net :.......
: "Sanity is the     : +1.281.362.6466 .......: photon@gnu.ai.mit.edu :
: trademark of a     :.................:..../\: vis_blb@unx1.shsu.edu :
: weak mind. . ."    : LDDS WorldCom, Inc. :\/: +1.281.397.3490 ......:
:....................:.....................:..:.................:

* (none)
@ 1997-01-29 19:51 Kai
From: Kai @ 1997-01-29 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom if you ever find one (a POP server) can you please notify me?

Thanks,

Kai M. Radicke -- mowogmg@dynanet.com
http://www.dynanet.com/~mowogmg

Webmaster -- webking@bigfoot.com
Phat Enterprises -- http://www.dynanet.com/~mowogmg/phat/default.htm

----------
> From: tab@cisco.COM
> Newsgroups: comp.os.plan9
> Subject: (none)
> Date: Thursday, January 23, 1997 9:16 AM
>
> I'm looking for a POP server for plan9.  Any clues?
>
> Tom Bohannon
> Cisco Systems
> tab@cisco.com

* (none)
@ 1996-09-05  6:48 Igor
From: Igor @ 1996-09-05  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <199609031543.LAA22182@cse.psu.edu> you write:
>checkout http://inferno.lucent.com
>
>phil

Will Limbo become the primary application language for Brazil, replacing
Alef? It [Limbo] is a pleasure to behold.

Congratulations on a job so tastefully done,

Igor Roizen
UCLA, Computer Science Dept.

* (none)
@ 1996-03-12 18:04 steve
From: steve @ 1996-03-12 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

mjm@wru.org (Michael Masterson) wrote:
> speaking for myself, I haven't seen the faq.  or is that the document
> that's mostly a copy of other stuff from the att pages, that is more
> of a 'where'd it come from' as opposed to a 'how do I make it work'
> file?

I'm not sure which document you were looking at, but I don't think it
was my plan9faq.html. My faq is based on the bell-labs faq.html,
but has grown quite a bit in the last year. Neither faq is intended
to be a replacement for the installation guide and manuals, though.

cpu% ls -l plan9faq.html
--rw-r--r-- M 893 steve sys 37196 Mar 12 12:22 plan9faq.html
cpu% aftp plan9.bell-labs.com
cpu% ls -l /n/ftp/plan9/faq.html
--r--r--r-- M 899 none none 11569 Oct 25 15:59 /n/ftp/plan9/faq.html

> I'm trying to get the test distribution up and running, but finding a
> compatable video card is .... while not killing me, surely leaving big
> gaping wounds...

read http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/plan9faq.html#vga
and all the references it points you at