* filsys...
@ 1996-03-17 23:24 Thomas
From: Thomas @ 1996-03-17 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok... here we go again.

The file server is running on a machine with 20 Megs of memory.
Its a 100 Mz 486.
I configure it according to the docs:

config: service kelvin
config: ip ....
config: ipgw ...
config: ipmask ...
config: config w6
config: filsys main w6
config: ream main
config: end

At this point the system takes over as it should:
sysinit
config w6
	devinit D6.0.6.0

>From here on it just hangs ad infinitum.

----
BTW.
0.  The scsi disk is on scsi device #6 - it works - I have
    put "Doze" on it - it booted up fine... I repartitioned so
    that there weren't any partition on the drive.
    Should there be partitions or is devinit supposed to
    do that?
1.  This happens with 3 separate 9pcfs that I've tested.
    a. (distribution)
    b. (9pcfs binary from ftp://plan9.att.com/plan9/update/fs/pc
    c. The binary that I built with the line for conf.nfiles changed to
       10000 instead of 300000
2.  It acts the same when I pull the ethernet card out.
3.  It acts the same when I plug the ethernet card into the net
4.  The machine has no difficulties running plan9 standalone.

I'm a little confused by the documentation...
What's the difference between a Unit and Target ID?  In the Unix world
that kind of makes sense... in the the PC world... with a single scsi
card... its not clear how that maps to Units.  I'm assuming that Target ID
refers to SCSI ID.

---- Where theory and reality meet.
---- Thomas Riemer, triemer@wesleyan.edu

only message in thread, other threads:[~1996-03-17 23:24 UTC | newest]