* 9pcfs / 3C509 / network hangs
@ 1996-03-20 16:37 Paul
From: Paul @ 1996-03-20 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

As you may recall, I had to hack 9pcfs (fs/pc/pc.c) to not search more than
16MB of memory for my particular machine.  This allowed me to boot and
all appeared well.  When I started to try and load the distribution the
ethernet on the fs (a 3C509) would soon go away and not come back.  After
trying some hardware sorts of things I discovered that there was nothing
I could do that would fix this.  I recalled that I had a similar problem
with the original 9pcdisk, but that had gone away after installing all
the patches.  To make a long story short, I copied 9/pc/ether509.c
to fs/pc/ether509.c and did the quick obvious fixing to get it to compile.
My install worked flawlessly after that.

				-Paul Borman
				 prb@bsdi.com

* 9pcfs / 3C509 / network hangs
@ 1996-03-20 16:24 jim
From: jim @ 1996-03-20 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

This fix from 11-Sep-95 (9/pc/810873946.rc) clearly didn't make it into the
fileserver kernel:
	ether509.c	Loop in interrupt handler until all interrupt bits are
			off to prevent losing an interrupt. Seems to happen on the
			newer 3C509B cards;
			Output data 32-bits at a time rather than 16.

I should also mention that I recently fixed a problem with probing for and
activating 3C509 cards when the system contains more than one card configured
for ISA mode. I'll post a fix when I get the chance.