* plan9 term paper
@ 1996-04-01 16:31 Valerio
From: Valerio @ 1996-04-01 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi to you all plan9 users/experts,

I am a PhD student in Computer Science (Purdue university).
I am writing a term paper for a course in Operanting Systems.
The sybject is PLAN9 (from the bell labs).
I have read some of the paper available on the net to
understand Plan9. My problem is that I do not have a Plan9
distribution available, so a cannot look at the sources to
see for example which is the schedung polycy of of the CPU
scheduler (just to mention one). So I will appreciate very
much if you could send me any information you think it could
helpful for me. For example thechnical reports that describe
in detail the system implentation, unpublished notes, personal
comments (is better for me to get some extra useless information
than miss some useful one). The paper is due in two weeks.
Here I list the main subjects that I am supposed to analize:
- history
- OS Structure (monolithic, microkernel, layerd, etc.)
- Process Management
- Memory Management
- Interprocess Communication
- Syncronization and Mutual Exclusion
- File System
- I/O Interface
- Compliance to Standards
- Special Features
- Comparison with other systems

looking forward for you reply I thank you all in advance
ciao
Valerio

* plan9 term paper
@ 1996-04-01 18:55 Lucio
From: Lucio @ 1996-04-01 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am a PhD student in Computer Science (Purdue university).
> I am writing a term paper for a course in Operanting Systems.
                                               ^^^^ :-) I love this!

> The sybject is PLAN9 (from the bell labs).

More seriously, though, Valerio, I suggest you get the original papers
(starting with http://plan9.att.com/ you'll have little trouble
finding the remainder) and follow them up with the released documents
(they are available separately from the complete distribution).

Also, there's a fair amount of Unix ported source that might clarify
some of the aspects you're investigating; this is in the public domain
so you needn't spend any money on it.  Dumb suggestion, perhaps, but I
could not resist that opRANTing :-)

--
Lucio de Re (lucio@proxima.alt.za) -------------------------------------

* plan9 term paper
@ 1996-04-01 17:41 Berry
From: Berry @ 1996-04-01 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>>"Valerio Pascucci" said:
 > For example thechnical reports that describe
 > in detail the system implentation,

You might want to get the PARC Tech note on comparing plan 9 and sprite file
systems.

Look on parcftp.parc.xerox.com in /pub/sprite/welch
  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center