* plan9 on DEC HiNote Ultra`
@ 1996-04-11 23:20 jim
From: jim @ 1996-04-11 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

there's a chance the later diskettes will fix both the pcmcia and vga
problems, there's support for the c&t 65540.

we run both win95 and plan9 on systems without trouble.

* plan9 on DEC HiNote Ultra`
@ 1996-04-11 21:59 Castor
From: Castor @ 1996-04-11 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I installed the Plan9 floppy dist which shipped with the CD-ROM on a
DEC HiNote Ultra (only $1300 from J&R (NYC)).  I thought I might relate
my experiences here for others who might be thinking of doing the same.

(Yes, I know that there have been newer floppy distributions, but the floppies
were here and I didn't have the patience to go get the latest).

When I have some more time, I'll try to get the boddles and build a current
copy of the kernel, but I don't know when that will be.

1.  The built in mouse doesn't seem to work reasonably.

	It seems to only allow horizontal motion, and is erratic, with
	occassional random button clicks events (but clicking the buttons
	does not work.)

	The system shipped with Logitech mouse software, so presumably it's
	a Logitech mouse.  Interestingly, if I plug a mouse into the
	PS/2 mouse port, it works just fine.

2. The PCMCIA controller seems to have been detected, but no devices
	appeared in /dev/pcm*.  The PCMCIA controller is one of the
	Cirrus Logic ones.  (SystemSoft Socket Services reported this,
	and Plan 9 called it a PD6720).

3. The VGA controller was (of course) not recognized, but works fine in
	640x480x1.  People are still developing support for the chip
	used (Chips&Technology 65545) for XFree86, so  it might be some
	time before I get this working "right".  (There is a majordomo
	mailing list ct5xx-hackers@cygnus.com which seems pretty active).

Has anyone experimented with running Win95 and Plan9 on the same
machine? (duck)

--------------------- Castor Fu              +1.512.433.3329 <castor@tkg.com>
                      The Kernel Group Inc.               http://www.tkg.com/