* More on CPU/Auth server
@ 1996-04-13 22:10 Steve
From: Steve @ 1996-04-13 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

[sorry if you see this twice, I got a bounce from my first posting]

Thomas Riemer <triemer@babbitt.BErnstein.COM> wrote:
>I'm booting a PC 486 with a standalone filesystem on hd1fs as a CPU/auth
>server.

Note that this setup may not be safe unless you've disabled logins as none.
Otherwise, someone could telnet into your auth server as none,
run 'disk/kfscmd allow', and then change anything they want.

I have tried this on my standalone terminal, though I haven't
tested it with a cpu kernel to see if it behaves differently.

* More on CPU/Auth server
@ 1996-04-07  1:53 Thomas
From: Thomas @ 1996-04-07  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm starting to understand my problem with the CPU/Auth server...

The stuff that I'm seeing in /sys/log/auth

>huygens Apr  6 15:15 t-fail authid 206.20.83.143
>huygens Apr  6 15:15 t-fail hostid 206.20.83.143
>huygens Apr  6 15:15 t-ok triemer 206.20.83.143

The t-fail entries are being generated because of a failure to find
a key.   The interesting part is that I know the lookup used for this
is "triemer" - what I'm running into is the fact that a "stored procedure"
- I mean a C function, rather (man - way to much sql) - the c-function
"findkey" is not able to locate a key.  (see
/sys/src/cmd/auth/lib/readwrite.c, /sys/src/cmd/auth/auth.srv.c)

I'm booting a PC 486 with a standalone filesystem on hd1fs as a CPU/auth
server.  It seems to come up fairly happy.  It serves correct bootp
stuff.  I installed off of the CD-Rom.  I boot with b hd!0!/plan9/9pccpudi
(which is the 9pccpudisk from the CD-Rom dist)

The interesting part is that it does ****NOT**** seem to have /dev/hd1*
which to me is fairly odd.  That is to say, that there doesn't seem to be
any devices for harddrive, even though I'm clearly talking to the
harddrive fs. (Is this odd to other folks out there?)

Also, auth/wrkey gives the nice little message
"wrkey: can't read nvram"  - which looking at the code for wrkey
seems to indicate that it can't open "#r/nvram".
(Here's a question for the FAQ:  what are all the #r, #H codes... and what
do they mean?)

hmmm.... the 9pc that I'm running had the same problem... I built 9pc
with the patches from Feb 16 - and it now seems to see hd devices...
I tried building the 9pccpudisk out of the same dist... only the patches
seem not to have instructions in the mkfile to build 9pccpudisk.

I apologize for what seems like spewing to me.  It just, you see, that
I don't meet folks in the local cafe that play with Plan9.

-Tom
---- Where theory and reality meet.
---- Thomas Riemer, triemer@tom.rockefeller.edu