From: miller@hamnavoe.demon.co.uk miller@hamnavoe.demon.co.uk
Subject: Problem ordering the distribution
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 05:27:19 -0400	[thread overview]

>	Why don't you just buy it directly from USA? I bought it
> from Spain with my credit card and had no problems.

Last August I managed to order Plan 9 from the USA (I live in England)
by phoning the 800 number, but it wasn't easy.  I was quoted a price of
$350 plus $29.40 for `expedited' shipping via Federal Express, and
mailed an order and cheque to Florida.  When I phoned a month later to
ask what had happened to the order, Harcourt Brace claimed to have no
record of it -- although my cheque had been cashed.  Eventually, after
forwarding a photocopy of the cancelled cheque from my bank, I did
receive the CDROM and manuals, along with an invoice showing a price
of $378.50 including shipping.  I also had a separate bill from Federal
Express for duty and UK Value Added Tax, which I paid.

I then started receiving letters from the UK office of Harcourt Brace,
saying "unfortunately we wish to advise you that the cost of this product
amounts to 301.98 pounds (Inc vat) ($468.08)", and asking for further
payment so they could fill my order.  They also offered to refund my
original payment "if you do not wish to acquire this title", which I
admit was tempting.  However, I wrote to explain that I had received
and was happily using the software, and that since I had paid $379.40
towards an invoice for $378.50, it was actually Harcourt Brace who owed
me money ... That was the last I heard from them.

-- Richard Miller