* mothra boddles on plan9.bell-labs.com
@ 1996-07-05 18:23 Scott
From: Scott @ 1996-07-05 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:
| | For example, the argument list of dial(.,.,.,.) has changed
| | since the distribution, but I don't know if an update has been
| | sent out.  If not, remove the last argument.
|
| That was fixed in a previous update.

It looks like I was wrong about that.  I was thinking of csgetval.

* mothra boddles on plan9.bell-labs.com
@ 1996-07-06  3:40 Scott
From: Scott @ 1996-07-06  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:
| | For example, the argument list of dial(.,.,.,.) has changed
| | since the distribution, but I don't know if an update has been
| | sent out.  If not, remove the last argument.
|
| That was fixed in a previous update.

Oops.  I think I was thinking of csgetval there.  Dial is unchanged in
the updates.

* mothra boddles on plan9.bell-labs.com
@ 1996-07-05  3:37 td
From: td @ 1996-07-05  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I just tried.  Two things are misssing.  First, the mkfile in
>/sys/src/fb wants a subdirectory dpic.  Without that, the mk fails,
>even with the -k flag.  Second, a number of things use the stdargs
>interface, which the second edition doesn't support.

Sorry about dpic, that's a troff postprocessor that generates anti-aliased
images that, unfortunately, was never cleaned up for distribution (it used
proprietary fonts, and it failed to track the change from ascii to unicode.)

Was there never an update sent out to deal with stdarg?  We copied the
various /$objtype/include/stdarg.h files into /$objtype/include/u.h
earlier this year when the interface to print et al was fixed to use
stdarg rather than ad-hoccing its way through the argument list.
Obviously, just adding #include <stdarg.h> in the appropriate files
will fix this if you don't want to mangle /$objtype/include/u.h

Thanks for trying the distr. out!

>I've
>emailed Tom asking him to come up with a "Mothra Enhanced" logo so my page
>would be the first one to bear it. :-)

I'm leaving Bell Labs next Friday (July 12) to move to California (working
for Pixar), so my time is a little tight this week, but if I find a couple
of hours and an appropriate monster-movie image to appropriate I'll see what
I can do.

* mothra boddles on plan9.bell-labs.com
@ 1996-07-04 20:24 Luther
From: Luther @ 1996-07-04 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 03:59 PM 7/4/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I just tried.  Two things are misssing.  First, the mkfile in
>/sys/src/fb wants a subdirectory dpic.  Without that, the mk fails,
>even with the -k flag.  Second, a number of things use the stdargs
>interface, which the second edition doesn't support.

Actually, it does support stdarg; it's hidden in /$objtype/include. I'm
always forgetting to look for things there myself. I think the problem is
<stdarg.h> isn't included in mothra.h (assuming that's where Tom wants it.)

>That said, after hacking around those two things, the new mothra looks
>pretty good.

Sure does. It apparently will finally give us ftp:// support. Just in time,
because I'm writing the Plan 9 Perl web page even as I'm typing this. I've
emailed Tom asking him to come up with a "Mothra Enhanced" logo so my page
would be the first one to bear it. :-)

>| For example, the argument list of dial(.,.,.,.) has changed
>| since the distribution, but I don't know if an update has been
>| sent out.  If not, remove the last argument.
>
>That was fixed in a previous update.

Oops, I missed that. And after I finished trimming args off csgetval(). Oh,
well. Such is life.
---
Luther Huffman		lutherh@stratcom.com
Strategic Computer Solutions, Inc.
http://www.stratcom.com/

* mothra boddles on plan9.bell-labs.com
@ 1996-07-04 19:59 Scott
From: Scott @ 1996-07-04 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1996-07-04 12:18 td
From: td @ 1996-07-04 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've left a bunch of boddles (and a couple of tar files,
since Binaries Break Boddles) at ftp://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/update

Together, these changes build a new release of mothra.
If you found it unusable before, install these and give
it another try.  Possibly you don't need fb/jpg2pic/836404914.rc,
which is gigantic.  Don't get it unless you have trouble displaying
jpg pictures.  (Sometime I grabbed a new release of this public-domain
program, and every line appears to have changed.)

I haven't actually tried to build mothra from an updated distribution,
so possibly I have left something out.
For example, the argument list of dial(.,.,.,.) has changed
since the distribution, but I don't know if an update has been
sent out.  If not, remove the last argument.

Here's the file names, relative to ftp://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/update
	libpanel/836403535.rc
	libpanel/836403004.rc
	libfb/836402968.rc
	libfb/836403518.rc