From: Luther Huffman lutherh@infinet.com
Subject: Slave buffer problem
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 05:32:07 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello, all.
     I'm running Plan 9 as term on a Pentium machine. A few days ago, I
began to have some of my applications crash mysteriously, freezing the
windows on the system. A message is displayed: "8 1/2: slave buffer: no free
mount rpc buffer".
     I've also begun to notice that upon rebooting after a crash, during the
system's automatic post-crash disk/kfscmd check, many files (mostly in
/sys/lib) are listed as having "bad qid"s. Without exception, these are all
files and directories I've added or patched in the past few months. I
suspect these two problems are related, as it appears to me that all of the
programs which crash are doing file and directory stats on these suspect files.
     I've tried, to no avail, running the bad block repair options to
disk/kfscmd check. That doesn't appear to fix the problem
     Can someone out there read the entrails of my system and tell me what's
wrong, how to fix it, and how to keep it from happening again?
---
Luther Huffman		lutherh@stratcom.com
Strategic Computer Solutions, Inc.
http://www.stratcom.com/