* Installation problems...
@ 1996-07-12  4:51 Scott
From: Scott @ 1996-07-12  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Kotsopoulos <steve@ecf.toronto.edu> writes:
| I've never tried using anything except 'bootes' as my authid.

I did.  It works.

* Installation problems...
@ 1996-07-13  0:01 Jack
From: Jack @ 1996-07-13  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jack Culpepper <jack@muddcs.cs.hmc.edu> wrote:
> > Well, it looks as though this list is dead,
>
> not at all

Fabulous.

> > Is Bell Labs still supporting this OS?
>
> >From the preface to volume 1 of the Plan 9 manuals:
>
> "Plan 9 is made available as is, without formal support"

I have read both books.  I guess I was more interested in knowing if anyone
at Bell Labs was still running it, and if people like you guys were around to
trade gripes with.  You are; that's great.  Thanks.

Jack

* Installation problems...
@ 1996-07-12 16:41 Berry
From: Berry @ 1996-07-12 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>>Scott Schwartz said:
 > Jack Culpepper <jack@muddcs.cs.hmc.edu> writes:
 > | Well, it looks as though this list is dead,
 > Not dead, just resting.

Pining for the fnords...

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

* Installation problems...
@ 1996-07-12 10:09 Boyd
From: Boyd @ 1996-07-12 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

    From: Scott Schwartz <schwartz@galapagos.cse.psu.edu>

    Not dead, just resting.

not dead!  if you hadn't nailed it to /mail/lib/rewrite it'd be
replying 'unknown user' by now.

* Installation problems...
@ 1996-07-12  4:44 Scott
From: Scott @ 1996-07-12  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Culpepper <jack@muddcs.cs.hmc.edu> writes:
| Well, it looks as though this list is dead, but I guess I might as well try
| anyway.

Not dead, just resting.

| % auth/changeuser oslab
| Password:
| Confirm password:
| Expiration date (YYYYMMDD or never) [return = never]: never
| changeuser: can't set key: file does not exist

I wish the %r flag was put to better use, by telling you which file it
is that doesn't exist.  Anyway, just at a guess, keyfs may not be
running.  That can happen if you don't use the name p9auth for the auth
server and don't edit /bin/cpurc to match.

* Installation problems...
@ 1996-07-12  4:15 Steve
From: Steve @ 1996-07-12  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Culpepper <jack@muddcs.cs.hmc.edu> wrote:
> BTW, do you (or anyone else listening) have any pointers to other info on the
> web (besides the links on the att server)?

I've been maintaining a plan9 website for 2 years now, at
http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/
There are other websites (York, Basser, & Micro's) you can get to from there.
You may find others via Yahoo or AltaVista.

The hypertext faq is at http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/plan9faq.html
A plaintext version is posted to comp.os.plan9 at the beginning of each month.

* Installation problems...
@ 1996-07-12  4:07 Steve
From: Steve @ 1996-07-12  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Culpepper <jack@muddcs.cs.hmc.edu> wrote:
> Well, it looks as though this list is dead,

not at all

> I get to the point at which the installation "guide" tells me to do a
>
> auth/changeuser [authid]
>
> on the authentication server.  Fine.  I do it.  This is what happens:

Note that there were some corrections to the install document made after
the books were published. Make sure you are reading the up-to-date
version at http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/doc/install.html

> % auth/changeuser oslab
> Password:
> Confirm password:
> Expiration date (YYYYMMDD or never) [return = never]: never
> changeuser: can't set key: file does not exist

I'd guess that your probably aren't running keyfs, or you didn't run wrkey.

My installation notes are at
http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/info/steve/plan9.install-guide

Here's the section on setting up authentication:

Boot your cpu server, then (on its console):

% auth/wrkey                    to set passwd, authid,  authdom
% auth/keyfs                    serves /mnt/keys, from /adm/keys & #r/nvram
% auth/changeuser bootes        to add bootes (authid)
% auth/changeuser upas          so that upas' crontab will work
% auth/changeuser steve         set passwd for steve, then do the same thing
                                for every other user you added to /adm/users

I've never tried using anything except 'bootes' as my authid.

> How do I fix this?

Read the manuals, web pages and source code to try to figure it out,
and post here if you are stumped.

@ 1996-07-11 23:20 Jack
From: Jack @ 1996-07-11 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >How do I fix this?  Is Bell Labs still supporting this OS?  To say the least,
> >it's mighty frustrating to not even be able to get a semi-working system up.
>
> Can't help you there, but it brings up a question I wanted to ask ...
>
> I tried to find a beta release of Plan9 to try this weekend, and found only
> copies that had to be purchased for $350 or thereabouts. I had read that the
> OS was still available to try out -- has this changed recently?
>
> Rogers Cadenhead

The OS is available to try out -- sort of.  The "try out" version is a stand-
alone PC kernel and minimal system that is available via

http://plan9.att.com/plan9

It comes on four floppies that you can download, but if you want a networked
system, you have to buy the books and CDROM.

Jack

@ 1996-07-11 22:42 Rogers
From: Rogers @ 1996-07-11 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1996-07-11 22:25 Jack
From: Jack @ 1996-07-11 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anybody out there?

Well, it looks as though this list is dead, but I guess I might as well try
anyway.  Using a SparcStation IPC as my fileserver (the PC file server would
not boot no matter what config I used), and a SparcStation 1 as my
authentication server (neither would the PC auth server, but I think it was
because I used a different authid the first time around, and the old one is
written on the PC's auth partition), I get to the point at which the

@ 1996-01-11  3:25 jim
From: jim @ 1996-01-11  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oops, sorry for that inappropriate message.
Bamboozled by technology once again.

Sender: cse.psu.edu!owner-9fans

Did you resolve your installation problems?

* Installation Problems
@ 1996-01-11  3:15 jim
From: jim @ 1996-01-11  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1995-12-13 16:53 Steve
From: Steve @ 1995-12-13 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have installed the 3-disk system on my PC, but when I try
starting Plan 9, I don't even reach VGA hell.  I've tried 2
ways of running plan9\b

1.  plan9\b  (from c:\)
    This gets me to the 'File System Installation' window,
    the beginning of the process I think I just finished.

2.  plan9\b  s!0!boot  (from c:\)
    This shot in the dark, cooked up after reading parts of
    section 8 of the manual, seems to take me farther, but
    ultimately it fails, too.  I see...

    scsi0: aha1542: port 330 irq 11, dma 5
    root is from (local, 9600, 19200, il) [local!#w0/sd0disk:32]:
    user [none]:

    I take the defaults and see something very like...

    fs...kfs init 3: can't open #w0/sd0disk32
    boot: mount: write to hungup stream
    panic: boot process died: unknown

    ...followed by several lines of hex numbers that I'll be glad
    to provide if they'll help someone help me.

More information:
The scsi line above is correct.  I am using a BusLogic 946C
host adapter.  Plan 9 recognizes my 2 scsi disks well enough
to allow me to choose either as the target of the installation
process.  I have a dos partition on scsi0 that takes a 3rd of
1 GB.  The rest is unallocated, as is the whole of scsi1.  I'm
using a version of the distribution I ftp'd on 28 November.

Here are a few lines from plan9\plan9.ini that may be relevant:
scsi0=type=aha1542 port=0x330
bootfile=sd!0!/plan9/9dos
rootdir=/plan9
bootdisk=#w0/sd0disk:32

Of course, I'll provide any other information I can, but I'm
not sure what else might help, so I'll hope to be asked.

Thanks.

--
Steve Elkins  -->  sgelkins@mercury.interpath.com

* installation problems
@ 1995-11-04  9:24 Will
From: Will @ 1995-11-04  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

John D. Pritchard (jdp@cs.columbia.EDU) wrote:

: hi,

: on File System Installation, prep fails with "24 not enough room for boot"

: i've got 37Mb free on C:, and 280+Mb on an unformatted partition

: the machine is a Dell P60, Viewsonic 17" SVGA, 3Com ethernet, MS-DOG 6.2,
: completely clean.  i just fdisked and installed DOG.

: DOG made me format the upper half of the disk, but i went back and deleted
: the logical drive in a weak attempt to get prep by this problem.

If this is a CDROM install, then you need around 2MB free on the first
(MSDOS) partition, no other partitions on the disk, and around 530 MB
of free disk space.  Otherwise you have to install by hand.

Will
cwr@crash.cts.com

* installation problems
@ 1995-11-02  1:07 John