* Help me up off the floor!
@ 1996-07-23 16:35 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1996-07-23 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>:we bought the house that they wanted to get us a nice "housewarming" type
>>:gift, but we could never decide what we wanted.  ...

go for it: the full Plan 9 kit with CDROM.

* Help me up off the floor!
@ 1996-07-23 16:30 Joe
From: Joe @ 1996-07-23 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 23, 12:20pm, Joe Ammond spake thusly:

[ mindless personal drivel deleted ]

Shoot me now, please.  I am extremely sorry, and I imagine my inbox is
going to be also.  I'm off to go RTFM on my MUA, and get some new fingers.

ja.
--
Joe Ammond
                                                 ammond@ee.gatech.edu

* Help me up off the floor!
@ 1996-07-23 16:20 Joe
From: Joe @ 1996-07-23 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 23, 11:21am, Lisa Cocking spake thusly:
:Well, I didn't hurt myself too badly there, but I was pretty surprised to
:get your message.

:)

Let's see if I can floor you again, and get a reply to you before you
disconnect for the day.

:We've been thinking about you both a lot this week, with the Olympics.  Have
:things been as awful as the media have been making them sound?  Such as
:transportation problems, streets being closed, etc.  It sounded like the
:athletes actually had it the worst (drivers taking them to the wrong venue,
:falling asleep at the wheel, etc.), but it can't be too great for Atlantans
:just trying to get around, either.  I hope you've been able to do some work
:from home, at least, to avoid having to go in.

Yeah, I've been working from home a couple of times so far.  I'll be home
Wednesday and Friday.  The driving traffic has been some of the best ever,
from what I've heard from people who are driving into campus.  I try and
leave home by 5:15am at the latest.  I usually get to the train station
by 5:45 or so, and I'm at my desk by 6:30.  Not bad, about a half an hour
longer than usual.  However, it is definately more crowded when I leave,
usually around 2:15, 2:30, since the spectators are moving around then.  The
train is kind of crowded, but it gets better as we approach where I get on,
which is the end of the line (northbound).  Southbound train traffic is
*packed*, which is why I'm glad I don't go that way.  :)

:I'd love to see some pics of 'Chele's new plantings.  I haven't been doing
:much in my garden this year, although some of the things I put in last year
:are doing okay.  Others, however, are not.  My hollyhocks are gorgeous, if
:nothing else.  The biggest one is about 6 1/2 feet tall now, with lots of
:flowers.  The daisies and pink coreopsis are doing nicely, too.  I just
:haven't had the motivation to work in the yard - I'm not sure why.  I guess
:I'd rather go riding, or something!

Wow, that's huge!  We haven't done anything that large, just some small
flowering growncover around the mailbox post, and a, um.. Daila?  whatever
near the corner of the garage.  Oh, and a couple of forsythia (sp?) here
and there.  We're mostly working on getting the front yard into shape, which
is taking work, but coming along well, as long as I keep up with mowing it.
The back is brown, which is usual for the summer.  We've got a cool season
grass back there (fescue), so it's green in the fall and spring, and goes
dormant in the heat.  We'll probably try and get some of the bermuda from the
front to take back there, since it's so much nicer to walk on, and we don't
really care that it turns brown in the winter.  I mean, grass is supposed to
turn brown in the cold, right?

:(turning green with envy...) Well, I don't *personally* know anyone
:competing.  ;)  But, I know some of the big names, which I'm sure you'll
:here from everyone else as well.  Tinker Juarez on the men's team (look for
:the guy with the major dreadlocks), and Juli Furtado on the women's team are
:expected to do very well.  Alison Sydor (on the Canadian team) is also
:pretty well respected.  She's a former top-level skier who switched to
:mountain biking after having five knee surgeries in five years.  Take lots
:of pictures so we can try to share the experience vicariously at a later
:date (when you show them to us).

I didn't think you personally knew anyone, otherwise you might be down here
watching them.. :)  I pulled up the games web site, and they have a list
of the athletes in the events.  I'll watch for the dreadlock dude.
And I remember hearing about Alison on some news program.

And there will be lots of pictures.  I'm going to see about the digital
camera this afternoon, and Milo (who I'm going with) is an avid photo
bug.  I might try and take 'cheles camera too, but I'm not sure on that
yet.  I don't want to ruin it.

:I wish I could see that!  Mom mentioned to me that Michele is helping with
:the crafts. I remember well the time she did that up here - what an
:experience!  I thought she had taken an oath never to do it again.  Glad to
:see she's changed her mind.  I'm sure you're both doing a great job.

Heh.  Last week I was the only one who knew their lines (and one of the
other people was a UofM drama major :), so we'll see how it goes this
week.  I need to speak up when I'm on "stage", which is usual for me.

I thought 'chele was totally giving up on VBS too, but something changed
her mind.  She's having to do pretty much all of the prep work for the
crafts, because the other woman who offered to help is more than a little
scatterbrained.  I'll bet that she'll take another oath at the end of this
one too.. :)  Or maybe not, it hasn't been that bad.  Having it spread out
over 5 weeks makes it a lot easier to deal with.

:Mom told me that she and Dad are planning to go down to see you over the
:Labor Day holiday.  Wish we could, too (although it does make things a
:little crowded).

True.  It wasn't too bad at Christmas, but I imagine having more beds here
would have been better.  Maybe you'll be able to come down later on in the
year, or next.

:It looks like we may be able to get away for nearly a week
:in late August, at least.  We'll just go back up to Cheboygan.  Did you know
:we got a new tent?  It's really nice, 10x15, two rooms, the whole shebang.
:We got it just before the 4th of July holiday and took it up north with us
:then.  Mom and Dad actually bought it for us.  They've been telling us since
:we bought the house that they wanted to get us a nice "housewarming" type
:gift, but we could never decide what we wanted.  Then, about a week before
:the holiday, I was lamenting to Mom that while we had planned to buy a new
:tent this year, we had decided not to because (a) we weren't going to be
:able to take the trip to Vermont as we planned and (b) we're broke.  Mom
:suggested using the housewarming money to get the tent we wanted, and we
:agreed that it would be a good idea.  We're really happy with it.  I may try
:to twist Tim's arm into going up for a 3-day weekend or something within the
:next week or two.  It's such a nice, cheap getaway.  And, lots of good riding!

Good deal on the tent.  We need to get a tent, since Mom & Dad gave us
money last Christmas to buy one.  Oops.  We looked around at them, but never
went and got one.  What you got is about what we're looking for.  Does it
have an awning on it?  'chele wants one on the one we eventually get.

Too bad about the Vermont trip, I know you had been looking forward to it.

I've been getting into a couple of new outdoor sports, one new and one
that I've wanted to start for a long time.  Disc golf (new for me), and
stunt kiting.  A friend from church got me hooked on disc golf (Frisbee
golf), and it's a *blast*!  It's slow to medium paced, and much cheaper
to get started in than regular golf, and there are a couple of courses
right around our house.  It takes about an hour and a half to play 18
"holes", and it's a lot of walking, which is helpful since I need the
exercise anyway.

Flying kites is something I've loved to do, ever since I've been a little
kid.  I think for my birthday I'm going to finally get a dual-line kite
and see how many times I can crash it to the ground..  :)  Seriously, if
you've ever seen master kiters, it is so relaxing to watch.  Something about
a kite calmly flying over the ground is just fun.

:Hey, your birthday is coming up soon.  I'm afraid that you (and 'Chele) may
:have to wait a few weeks before we send you your gifts.  Things are a bit
:tight right now.  Aw, who am I kidding, we're flat broke.  Tim hasn't been
:working regularly (just a couple of Sunday piano gigs) since early June.
:Beginning next week, though, he should be able to do some temping, as the
:class that's been taking all his time finishes on Thursday.  Hallelujah!  We
:still don't know what he will do for money this fall, though.  His student
:teaching is all arranged, at least (at Berkley).  But at any rate, things
:should be a little less tight in a couple of weeks.  We'll be eating again
:any time now!

No problem about the gifts, we fully understand about things being tight
(remember, we were broke for a year in Hoton).  Don't make them a big
priority, I mean, spend money on food first.. :)  Seriously, don't worry
about it.

Mac&cheese is your friend.  That and tuna, the other cheap food.  And Ramen
noodles, which are bland but filling.  'chele won't touch 'em, tho.

:Well, this is getting really long, and I'm afraid you're going to get bored
:and stop reading soon.  Take care, and say hi to 'Chele.  Oh--did you get
:the recipe I sent you?  Let me know if you didn't.

Yeah, got it.  Haven't replied to it yet.  Don't know if I need to or not,
other than when we make it.

:Love,
:Weezer
:All is strange and vague.  Are we dead?  Or is this Ohio?  	Yakko and Dot
Warner

Love the quote!  :)

Love,

ja.