* sparc 20
@ 1996-08-09 16:01 beto
From: beto @ 1996-08-09 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I tried running plan9 on a sparc 20 and it
crashed saying

> data exception.

Has any one tried this before?

Also  ss10/sunmmu.h is missing so I can't
recompile the kernel. Is there any reason for this
file not been in the release?

* sparc 20
@ 1996-08-12 19:17 Eric
From: Eric @ 1996-08-12 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

> To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
> Subject: Re: sparc 20
> Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 22:44:49 -0400
> From: Geoff Collyer <geoff@research.att.com>
> Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu
> Whatever was in sunmmu.h doesn't seem to have been critical.
> I was able to build a 9ss10 from the CD by doing
>
> 	cd /sys/src/9/ss10
> 	>sunmmu.h
> 	mk
>
> I haven't run the resulting 9ss10, however.

I have been able to build 9ss10 with the above fix and netboot it into
an SS20 from a PC bootserver but it never appears to gain control.  This
may be due to my SS20 having an RT625 HyperSPARC CPU rather than a regular
Sun CPU module, but I really don't know enough about one or the other to
even begin figuring out what's wrong (new cpu vs old cpu?).  The cpus are
apparently different enough to keep NetBSD/SPARC from working, so perhaps
in this instance Plan9 is breaking in a similar fashion.  If someone
has run Plan9 on an SS20, what cpu module did you have?

Thanks,

Eric Dorman
eld@mpl.ucsd.edu

* sparc 20
@ 1996-08-11 19:14 Greg
From: Greg @ 1996-08-11 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In comp.os.plan9 you write:
>Whatever was in sunmmu.h doesn't seem to have been critical.

That's because the processors that go into sun4m machines use an
implementation of the srmmu (SPARC Reference MMU), not the sunmmu used
in sun4c machines.

Cheers!greg
--
Expressed in this message are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.

* sparc 20
@ 1996-08-10  2:44 Geoff
From: Geoff @ 1996-08-10  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)