* Copying files..
@ 1996-08-19 14:26 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1996-08-19 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

to copy or install just part of the distribution, you will normally
want to use variants of
	disk/mkfs -a -s /n/cdrom aprotofile | disk/mkext -u -d thedestinationroot
where `aprotofile' is a file describing the part of the hierarchy
you'd like to copy.  see the mkfs manual page and examples in
/lib/proto

mkfs/mkext will ensure that ownership, times, modes, etc stay
as they should.  to retain ownership and times, you'll need to enable
`allow' mode on the file server in most cases, or issue
	disk/kfscmd allow
if the destination file system is on a local disc.

* Copying files..
@ 1996-08-19 15:57 David
From: David @ 1996-08-19 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Now this one I can get right. Real programmers don't use cp -r!
>
> {cd source-subtree; tar c .} | {cd dest-subtree; tar x}

I can feel an alias coming on.

David

* Copying files..
@ 1996-08-19 14:18 Nigel
From: Nigel @ 1996-08-19 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have been able to mount the CD-ROM (thanks to Nigel). I want to
> copy selected subtrees to hard-disk. Cp command has no -[rR] flag
> so how do I do it?
>    cp source-subtree dest-subtree

Now this one I can get right. Real programmers don't use cp -r!

{cd source-subtree; tar c .} | {cd dest-subtree; tar x}

or see

http://plan9.att.com/magic/man2html/1/tar

Nigel Roles

* Copying files..
@ 1996-08-19 13:54 Ishwar
From: Ishwar @ 1996-08-19 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been able to mount the CD-ROM (thanks to Nigel). I want to
copy selected subtrees to hard-disk. Cp command has no -[rR] flag
so how do I do it?
   cp source-subtree dest-subtree

Any ideas..
Ishwar Rattan