* General questions...
@ 1996-08-19 22:51 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1996-08-19 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>	2.  Will the sparc10 cpu server code be able to make use of
>>		multiple processors on my Sparc20? (say adding another
>>		60Mhz SuperSparc..?)

not as it stands: the ss10 mmu.c is based on my mmu.c for the lx/classic,
which in turn was based on a mixture of the next and ss mmu.c files.
it lacks interlocks, at least.  a better approach on a multiprocessor might be to
adopt the strategy of power/mmu.c and chm/mmu.c: they use a stunningly elegant
distributed garbage collection algorithm (and very little code)
to manage a collection of virtual contexts across the TLBs of a multiprocessor.

>>	3.  Are there any commercial SCSI Worm devices in a "reasonable"
>>		price range that I could use on the pentium fileserver?
>>		I don't think I can afford the 350GB sony that att uses,
>>		but I dont need 350 gigs anyways....

HP had some jukeboxes that seemed promising (a reasonable amount of storage
without a huge price tag), but are probably still a little expensive for home use.
then again, if you're considering FDDI you might be able to afford them.
i've read that HP has pulled out of the disc business, but i'd be surprised if that
included WORMS.

you'll probably need to change the file server code slightly to support something
other than the Sonys.

* General questions
@ 1996-08-20 14:42 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1996-08-20 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

by the way, it is probably wrong to make a habit of patching owners/groups/modes
after the fact.  if you were running a full system with a WORM file system,
nothing you did after the fact would change the incorrect modes etc. on the
dump file system.

* General questions...
@ 1996-08-20  6:57 Nigel
From: Nigel @ 1996-08-20  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> HP had some jukeboxes that seemed promising (a reasonable amount of storage
> without a huge price tag), but are probably still a little expensive for home use.
> then again, if you're considering FDDI you might be able to afford them.
> i've read that HP has pulled out of the disc business, but i'd be surprised if that
> included WORMS.

You could try the Pinnacle 5Gb r/w optical. It's not that expensive,
and presumably more reliable long-term than a 5Gb hard disk.

Nigel Roles

* General questions...
@ 1996-08-19 23:30 philw
From: philw @ 1996-08-19 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

>adopt the strategy of power/mmu.c and chm/mmu.c: they use a stunningly elegant
>distributed garbage collection algorithm (and very little code)
>to manage a collection of virtual contexts across the TLBs of a multiprocessor.

thank you.

However, there is an additional problem. The 20's have virtual caches
so you also have to deal with page coloring. I faced the problem for
the SGI challenge XL and that was really the start of Brazil.

phil.

* General questions...
@ 1996-08-19 20:47 Photon
From: Photon @ 1996-08-19 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just got my Plan 9 distribution in the mail, and I'm trying to plan out
what hardware I want to acquire/use to construct my plan 9 setup.  I have
at my disposal:  a Sparc20 (single 60Mhz SuperSparc), 2 Intel Pentiums.
I was planning to make one pentium a SCSI only fileserver box, the Sparc20
a cpu server, and use the other pentium as a terminal, all interconnected
by ethernet.

My questions are:

	1. Is anyone working on any FDDI interface drivers on the pentium
		or sparc platforms?  I would really like to use FDDI
		instead of ethernet between the file server and CPU
		server.
	2.  Will the sparc10 cpu server code be able to make use of
		multiple processors on my Sparc20? (say adding another
		60Mhz SuperSparc..?)
	3.  Are there any commercial SCSI Worm devices in a "reasonable"
		price range that I could use on the pentium fileserver?
		I don't think I can afford the 350GB sony that att uses,
		but I dont need 350 gigs anyways....

Any answers would be appreciated...

Brandon Black