* More questions..
@ 1996-08-20 13:36 Steve
From: Steve @ 1996-08-20 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there a way to change owner from none to sys?

Vadim posted an 'su' program here last year, I saved it at
http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/info/misc/su

> The following error is strange..
>
>    disk/kfscmd allow
>    cd /
>    mkdir mail
>    mkdir: mount device forbids creation

The root of your file server (in this case, /n/kfs) is distinct in many
ways from the root of your namespace (/).  This takes some getting used to.
Try the following instead:

     disk/kfscmd allow
     cd /n/kfs
     mkdir mail

If you then look in /, you'll find /mail

> Any pointers?

The manpages: root(3), mnt(3)

* More questions..
@ 1996-08-20 14:44 Steve
From: Steve @ 1996-08-20 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Is there a way to change owner from none to sys?

oops, I see now that I mis-read that, thinking it said change user

* More questions..
@ 1996-08-20 14:36 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1996-08-20 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Is there a way to change owner from none to sys?

one of the advantages of using mkfs-a/mkext to install chunks of the CDROM
is that it can be told to set the original owner and group when the
target file system is in `allow' mode.

still, if files have ended up with the wrong group, you can change the
group with chgrp.  if you're not the right person to run that (eg,
not connected with the group), you'll need to `allow' first.
when running normally, no one can change a file's ownership;
that's why there isn't a chown command.  there is no super user in Plan 9.
`allow' mode permits change of ownership, however,
so it's possible to write a command that will work in that mode.
try ftp://ftp.cs.york.ac.uk/plan9/chown.c .

even so, you might be better off retrying the installation of the
bits you were trying to install by using the mkfs/mkext approach.
that way everything will be as it should be, including the file modes.
(but remember to do {chmod 777 /mail/tmp}, since the mode was
wrong on the CDROM.)

* More questions..
@ 1996-08-20 13:14 Ishwar
From: Ishwar @ 1996-08-20 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to change owner from none to sys?

The following error is strange..

   disl/kfscmd allow
   cd /
   mkdir mail