From: Peter Allworth petera@magna.com.au
Subject: does Inferno run under Plan9 on a mips magnum 3000?
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 21:05:01 +1000	[thread overview]

Steve Kotsopoulos wrote:

> When I fire it up, I get the following error:
>
> term% echo $terminal
> mips magnum 3000
> term% /usr/inferno/Plan9/mips/bin/emu
> Inferno BETA.2 Build 11 main (pid=358) interp
> emu 358: suicide: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x64 pc=0xb23ec
> term%
>
> I tried running it without the window system, and under 8 1/2,
> but the error I get is the same in either case.

My question is: Does Inferno run under anything?

I downloaded the Solaris 2.5 version and found:

1. It loses about 50% of all mouse clicks.

2. You run Coffee and the only way to stop it is to log off
   (your Unix login that is, forget about Inferno).

3. There doesn't appear to be an option to stop it stealing
   your colour map.

4. What is it with this "hit DEL or ^C in the controlling window"?
   Is it that hard to have a "Shutdown" button? Let's face it, if
   the nerd from Redmond can do it...

5. You run the HTML browser and it says "webget" (or some such)
doesn't     work, with no elaboration.

6. I followed the instructions for adding a new user, logged on, and
   the window manager immediately hung.

7. Assuming it didn't lose mouse clicks, what would you do with it?
   Tcl/Tk had more demos when it was still a little university project.

If this was an alpha release I would put these things down to teething
troubles, but this is a beta release by a "21 billion dollar company".
As a fully paid-up Plan9 owner it's a shame to see that Inferno's turned
into a "Divine Comedy".

Please prove me wrong,

PeterA.