* does Inferno run under Plan9 on a mips magnum 3000?
@ 1996-09-11 11:55 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1996-09-11 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

i'll add to my previous list.  i also watched an installation and
test run of Inferno on a Windows 95 machine (i don't know
the Gateway model).

* does Inferno run under Plan9 on a mips magnum 3000?
@ 1996-09-12 19:22 Dave
From: Dave @ 1996-09-12 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

IF the subject is inferno, we do mutual authentication already.

* does Inferno run under Plan9 on a mips magnum 3000?
@ 1996-09-12 19:19 Rich
From: Rich @ 1996-09-12 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >Does anyone have an opinion on how hard it would be to add things like
> >mutual authentication?  What about confidentiality (encrypting all traffic)?
> >Or is the only answer "tunnel it inside SSL"?

> Inferno provides all these options.

Yes, I know.  Sorry for not being more clear.  I was asking in the
context of "how easy to implement."  The initial poster was saying how
easy and useful 9P is; I was curious how easy secure-9P would be to
implement "from the spec."
	/r$

* does Inferno run under Plan9 on a mips magnum 3000?
@ 1996-09-12 19:16 philw
From: philw @ 1996-09-12 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1996-09-12 18:04 Rich
From: Rich @ 1996-09-12 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1996-09-12 16:16 Tim
From: Tim @ 1996-09-12 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Allworth wrote:

> The world desperately needs a network file protocol that isn't a rehash
> of NFS or SMB, and Styx/9P is clearly the way to go. But it's not
> going to be taken seriously unless there is at least the appearance that
> Lucent's full corporate weight is behind it.
> Unfortunately, that's not the way it looks at the moment.

I dont think that matters, 9P is good enough to stand on its own without
Lucent. In fact it's association with Plan9 and inferno might slow down
its adoption in the Web/Java world. There isn't annother remote
filesystem
protocol that is implementable from a document of less than 6 sides of
paper. Hats off to the authors. (But then I'm only halfway through the
implementation, so perhaps I'm speaking too soon).

I'm biased of course, since I'm doing a 9P client in Java at the moment
:-)

--
Who: Tim Panton       Email: tpanton@ibm.net    Phone: +31 6 5348 1795
Post : Westhawk Ltd. Frederik Hendriklaan 89, 2582BW Den Haag. The

* does Inferno run under Plan9 on a mips magnum 3000?
@ 1996-09-12 13:23 Peter
From: Peter @ 1996-09-12 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

forsyth@plan9.cs.york.ac.uk wrote:

> i have successfully run Inferno on at least the following configurations:

I can also confirm from a colleague that it runs under Windows 95.

> i successfully ran the web browser guido on all platforms.
> i was careful to follow instructions and ensure that the inferno
> bin was in my path/PATH variable which i ensured was also exported
> (done automatically by rc even on Unix, but i also told the Bourne shell to do it).
> when i deliberately did not follow the instructions and ensured
> that the appropriate Inferno bin directory was NOT in my path,
> guido reasonably complained of a webget protocol error
> since #C/cmd couldn't find the webget binary.

I assure you that I deliberately DID follow the instructions, printed
immediately after I downloaded the binary, and here in front of me...

"Starting up on Unix-like Systems
It would be useful to make a symbolic link or shell script referring
to the appropriate instance of emu with desired options."

The word "path" appears once in the document, in the last sentence
of the "Starting up on Windows (95 or NT)" section and in another
context.

I should note that I'm not being mischievous, I'm just giving a hint
of how someone not steeped in the Unix/Plan9/Brazil methodology (and,
by-the-way, I am) might react to a release like this. Yes, I'm playing
devil's advocate, if you'll pardon the pun, but I think it's important.

The world desperately needs a network file protocol that isn't a rehash
of NFS or SMB, and Styx/9P is clearly the way to go. But it's not
going to be taken seriously unless there is at least the appearance that
Lucent's full corporate weight is behind it.
Unfortunately, that's not the way it looks at the moment.
Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now.

> just a thought, but have you applied the OpenWindows Jumbo patches
> and the several other Jumbo patches on the Solaris 2.5 release CD?
> Solaris is erratic (even for Solaris) without it.

You're right, my Solaris 2.5 is "out of the box". I'll give it a try.

Many thanks for your prompt reply,

PeterA.

* does Inferno run under Plan9 on a mips magnum 3000?
@ 1996-09-11 13:30 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1996-09-11 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

for fun, i just installed an SGI Iris 4D Power Series
multiprocessor with 4 processors (25MHz R3000) as a cpu
server on our Plan 9 network to try Inferno on
that; it works fine in interpreted mode, run remotely under
cpu in a local 8½ window, and when run in a remote 8½ window.

* does Inferno run under Plan9 on a mips magnum 3000?
@ 1996-09-11 11:51 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1996-09-11 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

i have successfully run Inferno on at least the following configurations:

	Plan 9	sparc	(SS1, also remote display on DX2/66 from ELC)
	Plan 9	mips (an Indigo R3000)
	Plan 9	386	(AMD486DX4/100, Intel DX2/66, P133, P150)
	Solaris 2.5	sparc	interp and compile	(SS10/51)
	IRIX 5.3	mips	interp and compile	(R4600PC Indy)
	IRIX 6.2	mips	interp and compile	(R4600SC Indy)

the Plan 9 emu is Build 11; the others are Build 14.

Solaris 2.5 and IRIX 6.2 were displaying remotely using X11
because the only Solaris 2.5 machine we've got hasn't got
a display attached; then again, you'd think that would make
the display costlier and the mouse hits even more likely to be lost.

on all platforms i have successfully run and killed the Infernal Coffee
machines using the X button.

i successfully ran the web browser guido on all platforms.
i was careful to follow instructions and ensure that the inferno
bin was in my path/PATH variable which i ensured was also exported
(done automatically by rc even on Unix, but i also told the Bourne shell to do it).
when i deliberately did not follow the instructions and ensured
that the appropriate Inferno bin directory was NOT in my path,
guido reasonably complained of a webget protocol error
since #C/cmd couldn't find the webget binary.

just a thought, but have you applied the OpenWindows Jumbo patches
and the several other Jumbo patches on the Solaris 2.5 release CD?
Solaris is erratic (even for Solaris) without it.

the ELC was slowest, but that's not surprising, since it's one
of those old Sun things.

as to point 7 (what would you do with it?)
oh, i can think of a thing or two.

* does Inferno run under Plan9 on a mips magnum 3000?
@ 1996-09-11 11:05 Peter
From: Peter @ 1996-09-11 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Kotsopoulos wrote:

> When I fire it up, I get the following error:
>
> term% echo $terminal
> mips magnum 3000
> term% /usr/inferno/Plan9/mips/bin/emu
> Inferno BETA.2 Build 11 main (pid=358) interp
> emu 358: suicide: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x64 pc=0xb23ec
> term%
>
> I tried running it without the window system, and under 8 1/2,
> but the error I get is the same in either case.

My question is: Does Inferno run under anything?

I downloaded the Solaris 2.5 version and found:

1. It loses about 50% of all mouse clicks.

2. You run Coffee and the only way to stop it is to log off
   (your Unix login that is, forget about Inferno).

3. There doesn't appear to be an option to stop it stealing
   your colour map.

4. What is it with this "hit DEL or ^C in the controlling window"?
   Is it that hard to have a "Shutdown" button? Let's face it, if
   the nerd from Redmond can do it...

5. You run the HTML browser and it says "webget" (or some such)
doesn't     work, with no elaboration.

6. I followed the instructions for adding a new user, logged on, and
   the window manager immediately hung.

7. Assuming it didn't lose mouse clicks, what would you do with it?
   Tcl/Tk had more demos when it was still a little university project.

If this was an alpha release I would put these things down to teething
troubles, but this is a beta release by a "21 billion dollar company".
As a fully paid-up Plan9 owner it's a shame to see that Inferno's turned
into a "Divine Comedy".

Please prove me wrong,

PeterA.

* does Inferno run under Plan9 on a mips magnum 3000?
@ 1996-09-10  3:09 Steve