* Auth server help..
@ 1996-09-19 16:11 Ish
From: Ish @ 1996-09-19 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I have a plan9 file server installed (pc domain) and working (does
not complain about the basic commands..). I also installed plan9 on
another pc (from diskette distriburion). I turned this pc into a
cpu/auth server (according to the instrunctions I hope..). An attempt
to reboot the cpu-server results in the following message:
root if from (il, incon)[il]: il
boot: opening ip ether: no free devices
panic: boot process died: unknown
8010045 exiting

and the machine reboots itself.

Any pointers?
Ishwar Rattan

* Auth server help..
@ 1996-09-20 13:58 David
From: David @ 1996-09-20 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ish Rattan wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a plan9 file server installed (pc domain) and working (does
> not complain about the basic commands..). I also installed plan9 on
> another pc (from diskette distriburion). I turned this pc into a
> cpu/auth server (according to the instrunctions I hope..). An attempt
> to reboot the cpu-server results in the following message:
> root if from (il, incon)[il]: il
> boot: opening ip ether: no free devices
> panic: boot process died: unknown
> 8010045 exiting
>
> and the machine reboots itself.
>
> Any pointers?
> Ishwar Rattan

Not sure why you are getting the "no free devices" error. I do know, if
you are installing a Plan9 network (PC) system, make sure to read the
Lucent Plan9 webpage  instructions. I made the mistake of glancing at the
manual and the web which resulted in me installing the system several
times.

Also, make sure that you enter the correct "authid" password on both file
and cpu servers. I remember that one would let you enter a password using
less than 8 charactors and the other would not. This caused major problems.
Just remember to constuct authid with > 8 charactors.

good luck
dap

* Auth server help..
@ 1996-09-19 16:32 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1996-09-19 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>root if from (il, incon)[il]: il
>>boot: opening ip ether: no free devices
>>panic: boot process died: unknown

since it hasn't found any ethernet devices, i'd check the ether configuration
lines in plan9.ini (and check that it is using the correct plan9.ini file).
i believe you ought to see an announcement when the plan 9 kernel starts
giving (at least) the machine's ethernet type, ether address, irq, etc.