* unmatched replies
@ 1996-10-16 23:49 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1996-10-16 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

the `unmatched reply' diagnostic is easy to generate by
interrupting a (user level) file server that queues requests and replies
to them out of issuing order but doesn't (quite) cope with Tflush/Rflush.
p9auth% mail 9fans
subject: unmatched replies

the `unmatched reply' diagnostic is easy to generate by
interrupting a (user level) file server that queues requests and replies
to them out of issuing order but doesn't (quite) cope with Tflush/Rflush.

rflush(void)	/* synchronous so easy */

is sometimes a clue.

dnsiplookup in ndb/cs might be a good place to start looking in your case,
but i'm just guessing.
it depends what you were trying to do when you noticed that the routing
tables had changed ...

* unmatched replies
@ 1996-10-17  2:47 Scott
From: Scott @ 1996-10-17  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

forsyth@plan9.cs.york.ac.uk writes:
| the `unmatched reply' diagnostic is easy to generate by
| interrupting a (user level) file server that queues requests and replies
| to them out of issuing order but doesn't (quite) cope with Tflush/Rflush.

That sounds familiar: I was interrupting things, like new instances of
telnet which had hung waiting for packets to come back.  (This is over
ppp, so I could see from the LEDs that there weren't any.)

| dnsiplookup in ndb/cs might be a good place to start looking in your case,
| but i'm just guessing.

That's plausible, I agree.  Once things got confused, starting a new
telnet would induce the error message, and a name lookup is pretty much
the first thing it does.

| it depends what you were trying to do when you noticed that the routing
| tables had changed ...

Pretty much just trying to log in again.