* Video Card?
@ 1996-11-10 18:01 Brandon
From: Brandon @ 1996-11-10 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone got a recommendation for a good PCI video card for an x86 plan9
terminal?  Like something that can go to 1280x1024x8, and that plan 9
doesn't have any problems with?  I've got a 2Mb Mach64 card that can do it
with windows drivers, but plan 9 can't use it very well...  And my 1Mb
Mach32 will only go to 1024x768x8, and doesn't work well with my monitor
at that mode....  From looking at the vgadb and the 9/pc sources, it looks
like my best bet is something S3 based... any suggestions on a specific
card that will do the job well onder Plan 9?

			Brandon

* Video Card?
@ 1996-11-16 18:40 jmk
From: jmk @ 1996-11-16 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm afraid we haven't been keeping up with the explosion in VGA cards.

An alternative to the Hercules above is the Diamond Stealth64 Graphics 2001.
This uses the same ARK2000 chip as the Hercules but has a nicer clock generator
and RAMDAC. These cards should still be available. For a while they came in
Micron Millenias but those now come with a higher performance card, the Stealth64
Video 3000. We have a couple of these cards and the programming information but
haven't got round to doing the work.

There is also the ATI Graphics Xpression using the Mach64 CT chip. This is a fine
card in the same league as the ARK2000-based cards.

--jim

| Has anyone got a recommendation for a good PCI video card for an x86 plan9
| terminal?  Like something that can go to 1280x1024x8, and that plan 9
| doesn't have any problems with?

I've tried a Hercules Stingray 64/V and a #9 771.  The #9 card is much
better.  They're both pretty old, but you can probably still find one or
the other.

* Video Card?
@ 1996-11-10 18:48 Scott
From: Scott @ 1996-11-10 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)