* none
@ 1996-12-02  3:25 Scott
From: Scott @ 1996-12-02  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

forsyth@plan9.cs.york.ac.uk writes:
| i'm afraid i'd prefer to die first, so i'm unlikely to implement it.
| pop3 is `yet another protocol that would not be needed if people used a (any)
| reasonable file service protocol', but at least it's small.

There remains the matter of a recovery protocol.  Plan 9 handles a
server crash by requiring the client to reboot [:-(]. Brazil is said to
have a recovery protocol.  What does Inferno do?  (My copy of the
documentation is hundreds of miles away at the moment.)

* none
@ 1996-12-03  0:49 Scott
From: Scott @ 1996-12-03  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

forsyth@plan9.cs.york.ac.uk writes:
| just out of interest, why is your server crashing so often?

i didn't say "often".  but it does happen once in a while.

* none
@ 1996-12-02 13:03 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1996-12-02 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>There remains the matter of a recovery protocol.  Plan 9 handles a
>>server crash by requiring the client to reboot [:-(]. Brazil is said to

pop3 and similar internet protocols, such as smtp, nntp, http, etc, already fail
(disconnect) when the server or network fails, so using a file service
protocol with similar properties makes no difference.

@ 1996-12-02  2:36 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1996-12-02  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

i'm afraid i'd prefer to die first, so i'm unlikely to implement it.
pop3 is `yet another protocol that would not be needed if people used a (any)
reasonable file service protocol', but at least it's small.
imap is ludicrous. #C/cmd points to a simpler yet more general approach.
imap is a good example of `every protocol its own, disjoint operating system'.

From: Stan Norton <norton@northsea.com>
Date: 01 Dec 1996 15:56:20 -0500
Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu

forsyth@plan9.cs.york.ac.uk writes:

> i've got a pop3 implementation i can (will) give him.
> it's smaller than the bsd one, but still too much for such
> a simple protocol.

has imap been implemented?

* none
@ 1996-12-01 20:56 Stan
From: Stan @ 1996-12-01 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

forsyth@plan9.cs.york.ac.uk writes:

> i've got a pop3 implementation i can (will) give him.
> it's smaller than the bsd one, but still too much for such
> a simple protocol.

has imap been implemented?