From: Eric Dorman eld@jewel.ucsd.edu
Subject: Plan 9 loader memory consumption
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 14:26:44 -0700	[thread overview]

> From dhog@lore.plan9.cs.su.oz.au Thu May 29 17:14:12 1997
> To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
> Subject: Plan 9 loader memory consumption
> From: David Hogan <dhog@lore.plan9.cs.su.oz.au>
> Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 09:37:55 +1000
>
> I have been trying to compile the X server and ghostscript 4.03
> at home.  Unfortunately I "only" bought 32M of RAM, and 8l
> tends to use around 29M compiling one of these monsters.
> After deducting 3-4M for kernel and ~3M for kfs, I don't have
> enough RAM to keep 8l in core.  This means it takes about an hour
> to link the X server, and a similarly long time for gs.

Huh?  I had to change MAXSEGMAPSIZE (I think) from 8 to 16 and
recompile the kernel to eliminate receiving Enovmem whenever
linking gs or compiling libtiff.a (g3states.h is *huge*).  After
that, I can compile/link everything in the tree just fine... it thrashes
a little bit, but it never has taken more than a handful of seconds.
I have 32M of memory and a PPro150, running pcdisk, and all patches
have been applied.  I don't have the Xserver sources, so haven't
tried it.  That was, however, the gs that came with the distribution.
Is 4.03 from somewhere else or is that in the dist?

I've had no ill effects from changing MAXSEGMAPSIZE.

Eric Dorman
eld@mpl.ucsd.edu