* [9fans] Re: multiple ethernet interfaces, naming
@ 1997-07-18 19:23 Brandon
From: Brandon @ 1997-07-18 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Lucio de Re wrote:

> > >I'm currently rewriting bootp to be a dhcp server.  I'll put the
> > >brazil (brazil, brazil, dee dah, dee dah, ...) version out there
> > >for one of you to plan9 ize if you like.
> >
> Score 1 for Microsoft, 0 for Lucent :-(
>
> Surely you should be working on IPv6 or somesuch instead of pampering
> to the Win'95 world (sigh!)?  Next thing, you'll all be developing
> dynamic DNS too :-(

DHCP is not pampering to the Win95 world.  DHCP is a good overall idea,
and I've seen a large company implement it for managing a UNIX network
before (several hundred Sun workstations, actually).  It makes IP
re-numbering much easier.  Don't knock DHCP.  And, If I remember
correctly, IPv6 will have a a much more Dynamic DNS than its predecessor.

Brandon

> --
> Lucio de Re (lucio@proxima.alt.za)
> Disclaimer: I'm working at getting my opinions to agree with me.

only message in thread, other threads:[~1997-07-18 19:23 UTC | newest]