From: elliott Elliott.Hughes@genedata.com
Subject: [9fans] Questions
Date: Tue,  2 Sep 1997 17:02:39 +0200	[thread overview]

Franklin Robert Araujo Fran=E7a wrote:
> 1. How clear the display? Is there a similar command such "clear"  of
> Unix?

what display are you talking about? the console, or an 8.5 typescript? i
altered 8.5 to accept another command in a window's control file that
would select all the text in the window and delete it. i imagine 8.5's
author would say that you should throw that typescript away and open a
new one, but the PC i used to use Plan 9 on wasn't fast enough to make
that as comfortable as a "clear" utility. plus i was probably typing it
out of Unix habit.

you could clear the console too, using bitblt(), but i can't imagine you
using the console that much.

> 2. How Can I use the last command without type it again?

sweep the text with button 1, then choose "Send" from the button 2 menu.
edit the text first if you don't want to repeat it verbatim. or you
could try acme, where you sweep the text with button 2, and it's
executed as you let go the button.

> 3. How abort a command? Is there a similar command such "^C"  of Unix?

erm, ^C, i think. certainly on my version of 8.5 but i may have altered
that too. read the 8.5 man page: it'll tell you what the interrupt
character is [i just checked: it's Del by default]. because 8.5 handles
this, there's no messing with stty.

> 4. Is there a command " FIND"?

there's no find as standard, but i think forsyth wrote one. i seem to
remember him calling it a hack to let him get an NNTP server running; a
real find would be tricky, i suppose.

> 5. In the manual there is a command called "listen"  but in my system,
> this command not exist. How do I for use it?

are you sure there's a man page for listen in section 1? that's where
the commands are. i only remember listen(2) which is the part of the
programmatic interface to the network, and listen(8) which is the
daemon. i'd have thought it would be running already but if you really
want to run it, remember that you need to run aux/listen.

> 6. How do I for subscribe the fans list?

an email with "subscribe name email" in the body. or is it the other way
around (email name)?

-- =

Elliott Hughes - GeneData AG, Postfach 254, CH-4016 Basel, Switzerland
mailto:elliott.hughes@genedata.com  http://users.ch.genedata.com/~enh/