From: Jan Hubicka hubicka@horac.ta.jcu.cz
Subject: [9fans] XaoS - first useable version
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:09:51 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, Sep 10, 1997 at 08:06:18AM +0000, forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:
> >>(IMO). As I saw in doc, plan9 has its own image format (pic) so I should
> >>save it into it. But I din't found any library for that except tifflib,
> >>wich looks rather strange and non-plan9ish. Is there any way to handle
>
> there's a separate libfb (<fb.h>), which is the one that supports the
> pic file format.  man 2 wrbitmapfile describes the libg primitive
> for writing Bitmaps to files.  Plan 9's version of that routine doesn't
Ok, this should be quite easy to write routine for saving 256color/truecolor
images I expect :)

About ppm stuff. Yes, ppm should be the easiest, but at *NIX machines,
I should use libpng, wich saves into well compressed format, that
saves lots of megabytes :) DOS,OS2 uses same scheme and usage of ppm
at Mac/BeOS should be quite strange too, I expect.
> write a compressed format, unlike (say) Inferno's equivalent.
This reminds me that I should try to install inferno :) Will it fit
into my 20MB plan9 partition?
Only think that talks against usage of pic files is that it will
require some extra platform depended code wich will bloat XaoS archive
size. And it is IMO too large now....
I hope it will not be longer than say 1KB...
> the pic file writer in libfb can write compressed pic files, though,
> and you can then fiddle directly with images using the fb commands,
Is those fb commands included in demo instalation?
I wonder if I will be able to browse resulting images in any way...
maybe mortha?

Honza

                   Have you browsed my www pages? Look at:
                       http://www.paru.cas.cz/~hubicka
      Koules-the game for Svgalib,X11 and OS/2,  Xonix-the game for X11
      czech documentation for linux index, original 2D computer art and
              funny 100 years old photos and articles are there!