* [9fans] Newbie: Laptop recommendation sought
@ 1998-04-07 22:34 jim
From: jim @ 1998-04-07 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

We haven't done much with laptops until recently. The 2 types we have
currently working with brazil are the

	IBM Thinkpad 560			133 Pentium
								Trident Cyber9385 graphics chip (800x600x8)
	NEC Versa 6030 (and 6020MX)	133 (166MX) Pentium
								C&T 65550 graphics chip (1024x768x8)

Both have the usual complement of ports and PCMCIA slots. Both have SB16
compatible sound (well, the Thinkpad uses an ESS1688 chip which required some
driver changes). The Thinkpad is really light (~4lbs) but even the floppy is
external.

The problem with most of the new laptops is that they use the NeoMagic graphics
chip for which there is no public information available. There are a few use the
C&T chips and some the S3 Aurora chip (Compaq 7330?) which should be trivial to
support.

We have no code for power-saving, suspend, etc. and that can be problematical.

--jim

* [9fans] Newbie: Laptop recommendation sought
@ 1998-04-06 20:23 John
From: John @ 1998-04-06 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
Hate to do this, but having read the archives it is clear that apart from
Toshiba and Zeos there hasn't been much chat about laptops running Intel. I
have a week to buy and set up a laptop and I would be grateful for any
advice, from technical to price. If you answer off list, I will digest.

regards,

--john richmond

John Richmond | john.richmond@fallon.com | Minneapolis MN | +1 612 630 7156