From: Kenji Okamoto okamoto@earth.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
Subject: [9fans] updated version of ktrans
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 18:43:45 +0900	[thread overview]

Hi Plan 9 friends--

I made some modifications (version-up, I hope) to ktrans command of =

Plan 9 distribution during this summer vacation, and want to distribute =

it to others.  I named it as kktrans temporary, however, if I could have
original author's permission, I'd like to keen the name of ktrans.

My basic policy to update this ktrans was not to adopt client-server
system which most of unix based kana-kanji conversion systems did though.=

This is because Plan 9 has dynamic name space mechanism, which forced
client-server systems to trash. :-)  This is the same way as original
Plan 9 distribution, which means my update keeps main part of
original distribution unchanged.  Therefore, I think I have to know =

the policy of re-distribution.

This is not final version, rather just a starting, therefore I have tons
of TODO list but very little time tp spare for this.

I attached my README.kenji file to show what are new of this version.
This file includes UTF runes somewhere to show how to use okurigana
in this new version, which means someone cannot read this mail. if so, =

sorry).   =

I need your advice how I could distribute this.

Kenji

README.kenji (August 11, 1998)
kktrans is modified version of ktrans by Kenji Okamoto, Aug. 11, 1998 on =
the =

original source of Plan 9 distribution.  =

Newly added features are as follows:

1) have a local dictionary file for translation from kana to kanji
      which can easily editted by user.  The default file name is
      $home/.kktrans-jisho
2) capital roma-ji input for a word with okurigana, which follows the ide=
      of SKK system by Masahiko Sato (masahiko@kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp).  If y=
ou =

      want to translate to kanji string "=1B$BikJe!keaQ=03=1B(B, you may =
input =

      "ugoK" and following "ctl-t".  You will see the kanji rune of "=1B$=
BikI=03=1B(B, =

      then continues to input "kasu", and "ctl-l" may follows which is ne=
wly =

      imprimented to leave hiragana runes intentinally.
3) simple leaning mechanism has been impremented on the on-memory hashed =
dictinary
      where most newly used kanji runes (candidate) moves to the top of t=
he
      list of candidates.
4) as the starting .kktrans-jisho, you may reformat the SKK-JISYO.S (66.9=
KB) of SKK
      system, which can be got from ftp.kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp.  The next thr=
ee lines
      shows the short sed filter to transform from SKK type dictionary to=
 Plan 9.
            s/\// /g
            s/  /	/g
            s/ $//g
5) SKK jisho, such as SKK-JISYO.S, is composed of two parts, okuri-ari an=
d =

      okuri-nashi entries.  This is greatly depend on the Japanese gramme=
r,
      and okuri-ari may represent verb
        These two parts work differently in the original SKK system, howe=
ver,
      I did not adopted that way, but rather, a simple approarch as descr=
ibed
      in (2).  Here, we have no difference between these two parts, and j=
ust =

      to make easier to read for editting, the two parts structure was le=
aved
      as are.  =

        This may cause some cumbersome input for Plan 9 nihongo users.
      I know this.  However, I intended to keep the codes compact as poss=
ible
      for a first step to develope Nihongo input system on Plan 9.

6) tons of TODO list of course. ^_^

		       				Kenji    August 11, 1998  =

-- =

-----
Kenji Okamoto     |  e-mail      okamoto@earth.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
 ______  __ |__   |  Osaka Prefecture University, Dept. of Earth Science,=

|__\/__|   /|\    |  Gakuen-cho 1 - 1, Sakai, Osaka 599-8531, Japan
-----