From: Digby Tarvin digbyt@acm.org
Subject: [9fans] using sam
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 20:38:24 +0100	[thread overview]

>From digbyt Sun Aug 23 19:04:20 1998
>From: forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk
>To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
>Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 16:52:34 BST
>Subject: Re: [9fans] using sam
>Sender: owner-9fans@cse.psu.edu
>
>last night in a hurry i wrote
>
>> up/down movement in non-proportional text is included --
>
>of course i meant proportional (-spaced) text not non-proportional.
>cursor keys make some sense when things are laid out
>on a fixed-sized grid (including menu items),
>which is why they made sense in
>the vt100 and DOS worlds, from which they were imported
>into the bitmapped world.
>
>>my decision was to make it the null selection. there's also
>>the question of which end of the selection to use. i chose to
>>always use q0 (the start), but could see an argument for using
>
>that's what i did when i enabled left/right movement as an
>experiment, to see if it made people happier.
>the world is still a vale of tears, the weather here is worse than ever,
>and i conclude the experiment was a failure.

I should probably add that, when I was asking about cursor
movement, I was not really asking for 'arrow' or function keys.

I would use arrow keys in preference to a mouse if I just wanted
to skip over one character in a line, but in general I shun
binding functions to these keys on other editors. I avoid PC
keyboards when I can, so prefer not to assume they exist,
and it is a pain to find arrow/function keys on some laptops.

On emacs, I am happy with control-f/control-b/crontrol-p/control-n,
and on modal editors like vi, I usr hjkl to move around.

Perhaps I could get by with something like having ESC take me
to the sam window, from which I could move my cursor and then
return. That would still be easier than trying to align a mouse
pointer on a laptop in a bumpy train...

(although the lack of a standard for positioning things like escape,
tab, control etc is another source of frustration :-/)

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              digbyt@acm.org