From: Lucio de Re lucio@proxima.alt.za
Subject: [9fans] Oil on the water
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 06:48:16 +0200	[thread overview]

According to rob@plan9.bell-labs.com :
> We are considering doing a new distribution of Plan 9, the system we
> have been calling Brazil ...

Yippee!!

Hm, $350 is a big chunk of money, despite the dropping US dollar, but
I think it can be justified.

What I don't understand is why Linus Torvald can coordinate hundreds of
developers, and Bell-Labs can't afford one or two staff members to do
likewise (do you need an aged wanna-be hippy in such a position?  I
could even do it from South Africa, more cheaply than having to
relocate to New Jersey, and Lucent do have a presence here :-)

I'd love to see Bell-Labs follow Netscape's example (to a degree they
have already done so long before Netscape or Linus Torvald thought of
it), and similarly knock a chunk off Microsoft's market.  Any way we
can twist your arm?  Even if somehow 9fans takes over the support
function (personally, if necessary, rather than merely on a mailing
list?)

The other thing that comes to mind, is the availability of Inferno for
Plan 9 Release 3, I hate needing an NT box when I already have three
healthy Plan 9 machines to work with.

Well, let's say I'd put a lot of effort into making such a thing
happen, and I think it is unfortunate (but Bell-Labs' privilege) that
Lucent deems it important to generate revenue from an experimental
system at the expense of some (admittedly speculative) long-term
benefits.

And the other thought is that developers are not going to produce
software for Plan 9 if commercial licencing is impractically
expensive, whereas even Bell-Labs may gain from having something like
Star Office (bad example, maybe) made available to the entirety of
Lucent (or Oracle 8, or Netscape Communicator and Commercial Server).

There's more, but I'm sure it has all been considered.  plan9.advocacy,
anyone?  :-)

++L