From: Kenji Arisawa arisawa@ken.aichi-u.ac.jp
Subject: [9fans] 9fs and 1542
Date: Sat,  3 Oct 1998 17:34:51 +0900	[thread overview]

Hello 9fans,

I wrote:
>I tried to upgrade my old  file server (486DX/66MHz)
>to a new PC (amd K6-233).
>The scsi card is adaptech-1542CF and the ether card is NE2000
>compatible.
>I moved both card from the old file server to the new PC.
>And I used old boot floppy disk untouched.
>However new server does not work!
>
>The messages are:
>for config mode hit a key within 5 seconds.
>	no config
>sysinit
>config w0
>devinit	D6.0.0.0
>D6.0.0.0: ready
>D6.0.1.0: ready      <--- the last message

Thank you, David and Jim for your advice.
I fixed 9fs to recognize the k6, but 9fs does not go farther.
I examined adapter diagnostics, but there is no problem.
I slowed down the DMA transfers, but the result is same.
The BIOS is disabled in host adapter configuration options.

The system can work and read scsi disk
if I configure it as a terminal.

So I investigated farther.
# This time I attached only one scsi disk ( scsiid=0 ). #
I found that the problem comes from scsiprobe() in `fs/pc/scsi.c'.
I inserted print statements in scsiprobe():

	print("scsiprobe: i=%d\n",i);
	status = 0;
	for(t = 0; t < 3; t++) {
		print("scsiprobe: testur ...\n");
		status = testur(ctlr, d);
		print("scsiprobe: testur: status=%ux\n",status);
		if(status == 0x6000)
			break;
	}

The result is:
scsiproble: i=0
scsiprobe: testur ...
scsiprobe: testur: status=6002
scsiprobe: testur ...
scsiprobe: testur: status=6000
D6.0.0: ready
scsiproble: i=1
scsiprobe: testur ...
scsiprobe: testur: status=1100
scsiprobe: testur ...
scsiprobe: testur: status=1100
scsiprobe: testur ...
scsiprobe: testur: status=1100
scsiproble: i=2
scsiprobe: testur ...	<---- The last message

testur() can recognize the absence of disk for scssiid=1
but not for scsiid=2 and hangs up!

Any advice is welcome.

Thank you,

Kenji Arisawa