From: James A. Robinson Jim.Robinson@Stanford.Edu
Subject: [9fans] NCR SCSI drivers
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 02:29:55 -0700	[thread overview]

> Things are still encouraging. Try modifying scsi.c (the generic bit) to
> print out the commands executed. Check it gets to the end of scsi probe.

Well, it seems likely that it is a termination problem... I went into scsi
probe, and in fact the machine is getting stuck trying to probe device
1 -- which doesn't exist. I've got termination set on, but perhaps the
junky little SCA adapter is at fault. I've got a fancier one on order.

To test this, I modified scsiprobe to only set drive 0 as ready. This
got the fs through the rootream procedure, but then within superream it
locks up during the loop:

	for(i=s->fsize-1; i>=addr+;i++)
		addfree(dev, i, s);

I lowered io.h's NTarget to 1 (assuming that it refers to how many
devices may be on a chain), and that got me a kremvax prompt, but no
keyboard input.

> I'll take a look later, but I'd better go to work now.

Communicating with people on the other side of the pond keeps throwing me
off in terms of time... I'm sitting here at 1:00am, and somebody tells me
'I'm off to work now!' :)

And I want to thank you and everyone else for all the help that
I've gotten so far. It is really cool that a newbie can get real
help! The Linux groups used to be like this (back in 1992), but have
gotten to the point of such bloat that all the professionals have run
away. So... Uh... If I'm talking too much just tell me! :)

Jim