From: Dharaneedharan Vilwanathan dharani@dante.mh.lucent.com
Subject: [9fans] DMR's OS :(
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 05:22:28 -0500	[thread overview]

> > What is the merrit to have Inferno on note PC?
>
> From what I've read, inferno has the same namespace coolness
> that Plan9/Brazil has. Think about how nice that would be for a
> hand-held. Instead of needing to squeeze apps into the tiny 1-4mb
> memory-storage on a pilot (or spending big bucks to get an 8mb chip),
> you could have all the storage be on a "pilot-server" sitting on a
> computer with a real harddrive.
>
> 	o No more worries about backing up the pilot
> 	o Almost automatic groupware funcionality
> 	o You could "download" software to the pilot
> 		(in reality, your harddisk) via your computer's
> 		network connection -- instant install without
> 		the need for serial-cable downloads.
> 	o No more need to hotsync between your PC and your pilot.
> 		both apps read the same files!
> 	o Pilot hardware can be dedicated more toward
> 		to screen i/o, and cache.
> 	o Having the equiv of /bin/cpu would be nice!
>
> They have tiny ricochet modems (wireless PPP-capable modems) that are
> about the size of the pilot. *I* think it would be cool. :)
>
> > I have no idea on Inferno though. ;_;

http://www.lucent-inferno.com/Pages/Developers/Documentation/White_Papers/

The next version the same project had Papyrus handwriting recognition
module running in Inferno with file tree interface. So we were even able to
keep
the recognizer itself in the network. It was evident that a powerful
multi-lingual
recognizer with huge dictionaries and look-up tables can be kept in the
host
while the device is still of same size.

With new communication mechanisms like wireless modem, waveLAN, irDA,
bluetooth,
etc., things seem to be very promising. In fact, in an Inferno based
solution,
you will only need to have a device with display and input method.
Everything
else can be in a remote place. Imagine using a thin device with LCD display
and a keyboard anywhere to browse, organize personal information, do home
automation, etc!!

Regards,
dharani

dharani@dante.mh.lucent.com