From: Chris Pane cpane@metamorsw.com
Subject: [9fans] Question reguarding importing/exporting file systems
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:54:12 -0400	[thread overview]

This is a follow up to my last post about importing MIDI file systems.

I have been experimenting with the supplied /dev/audio file system. I am
trying to import it to the file system on my Sparc.

Couple Questions ?

1. Are there file systems that can't be imported/exported from/to to other
systems ?

My current config is:

1 PC - With Sound Blaster booting as PC terminal
1 SPARC II - Serving as my Authentication server
1 SPARC II - File Server

When I type:

import -a <pc-hostname> /dev on the auth, I get a union directory that has
all of the cons (/dev/time, /dev/clock) devices on the terminal PC
now in my authservers namespace in /dev along with the auth servers
devices.

It is as if when import is run on the SPARC, it IS starting up exportfs on
the PC but exportfs is NOT seeing the /dev/audio file system.

When I try import <pc-hostname> /dev/audio - I get a not found error

I have gone back as far as I can in to booting process to modify my termrc
file to bind -a '#A' /dev on boot. This
has the effect of binding the audio file system into the PC's namespace
every time.

2. Is there some kind of exportfs file for plan9, maybe a file that
exportfs will look at when started to see what file systems
to export to the rest of the Plan9 world.

Is there possibly a way to flag the kernel that a specific file system is
going to be exported.

I really want to try and use my MIDI file system on my sparc, controlling
my keyboard connected to my PC!

Thanks in advance for any tips !

-Chris Pane