* [9fans] Cpu command and namespace
@ 2016-10-06  3:06 Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2016-10-06  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi All,

I tried running a cpu server using aux/listen1 on one of my plan9 machines and running cpu from another to connect to it. I set auth to none for now.

When I connected I noticed that the namespace was the local namespace of the server, not the namespace of the client before connecting. I was under the impression that the namespace should come from the client.

Am I doing something wrong here or is my understanding incorrect? Maybe I need to get authentication set up properly?

Thanks,
Chris

* Re: [9fans] Cpu command and namespace
@ 2016-10-06  3:46 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-10-06  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

namespace of the client is mounted under /mnt/term.

@ 2016-10-06  4:14 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-10-06  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  I was under the impression that the namespace should come from the client.

perhaps it's a confusion over cwd when you cpu to another machine?

supermic% pwd
/usr/fst
supermic% cpu -h rpi
rpi% pwd
/usr/fst
rpi%

since typically everything is served by fs, it is all the same
content.  the local namespace is exported by the local cpu and the
far-end cpu mounts it on /mnt/term.

e.g.

rpi% devsysname='/dev/sysname' for (i in `{seq 3}) {
	echo $devsysname ' = ' `{cat $devsysname}
	devsysname='/mnt/term'^$devsysname
	}
/dev/sysname  =  rpi
/mnt/term/dev/sysname  =  supermic
/mnt/term/mnt/term/dev/sysname  =  dell
rpi%

* Re: [9fans] Cpu command and namespace
@ 2016-10-06 13:58   ` Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2016-10-06 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks Skip,

That's the part I was missing. I thought that the current namespace is preserved after cpu command on the remote. But then I realize that it would be difficult to remap the bin namespaces to a different cpu architecture.

I suppose that I can always bind over what I want from /mnt/term or customize the profile script to do it automatically in cpu case.

Chris