* [9fans] Plan 9 household shared file server
@ 2007-03-12 17:49 David Leimbach
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-03-12 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm hoping I can get this configured nicely, but I'd really like to
have a RAID server in my house for keeping important files for myself
and my wife.

I'd really like to do this with Venti in some way, and also with Plan
9.... (not sure about how Venti is in P9P in terms of completeness or
robustness)

so I'm wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for RAID cards
that I can get today that work well with Plan 9 and pointers to
documentation for using them (hopefully not too bad).

I've actually not had the occasion to really ever use a RAID at home
for anything so I'm rather green to all of this.

I'd like to export the filesystem to windows and Mac OS X boxes, so
ideally CIFS or SMB export would work I suppose (unless FUSE for both
platforms is really mature enough to do it and 9P on top of FUSE for
that matter - It needs to be really simple as my wife isn't going to
use it if it isn't going to be "drag and drop")

Dave

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 household shared file server
@ 2007-03-12 18:26 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-03-12 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

real hardware raid is generally difficult to get on a hobbist
budget.

with ken's fileserver you can build raid 0+1 or 1+0 as you please.
you can access the same functionality on plan 9 with the '#k' device.
if you're using p9p, you might consider md/lvm.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 household shared file server
@ 2007-03-12 19:19 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-03-12 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm hoping I can get this configured nicely, but I'd really like to
> have a RAID server in my house for keeping important files for myself
> and my wife.

I run with a single fossil disk and a mirrored pair (from different manufacturers)
for venti which has been reliable so far. I have fossil fail twice and can now
rebuild the system (including plan9.ini etc) in a couple of hours.

I use '#k' to do the mirroring, and it works very nicely.

> I'd like to export the filesystem to windows and Mac OS X boxes, so

nfsserver will allow you to share data with the MAC, and Nigel's aquarela
should do the windows box; I have had problems with aquarela in the past,
nothing to do with the quality of the code, more the lack of development.
If you have problems with it do shout, I know the CIFS protocol pretty well
these days.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 household shared file server
@ 2007-03-12 19:38   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-03-12 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/12/07, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
> > I'm hoping I can get this configured nicely, but I'd really like to
> > have a RAID server in my house for keeping important files for myself
> > and my wife.
>
> I run with a single fossil disk and a mirrored pair (from different manufacturers)
> for venti which has been reliable so far. I have fossil fail twice and can now
> rebuild the system (including plan9.ini etc) in a couple of hours.
>
> I use '#k' to do the mirroring, and it works very nicely.
>
> > I'd like to export the filesystem to windows and Mac OS X boxes, so
>
> nfsserver will allow you to share data with the MAC, and Nigel's aquarela
> should do the windows box; I have had problems with aquarela in the past,
> nothing to do with the quality of the code, more the lack of development.
> If you have problems with it do shout, I know the CIFS protocol pretty well
> these days.
>
> -Steve

Yeah, I've not had much luck with aquarela in the past either.  I've
tried just sharing my existing system with Mac OS X and not had luck.

I'll try again though, it's been a while, and my wife has class tonight :-)

@ 2007-03-12 19:44   ` matt
From: matt @ 2007-03-12 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

What would you say to $30 + drives ?

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Supported_PC_hardware/index.html
SiL 3112 SATA, 3114 SATA/RAID
VIA 82C686, VT8237 SATA/RAID

I've not tried either of these but I am waiting to try one of them out,
I managed to spec it as part of a different job.

The supported hardware page doesn't mention the RAID side of things but
as far as I can tell it's all on the cards and they just appear as a
single drive.

The SiL one is reviewed here :
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/sil-3114.html
The actual controller :
http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=28

Which is built in to some cheap motherboards, for instance the
DFI LANParty UT RDX200 CF-DR

There's a bunch of them on ebay.co.uk for $30

But even brand new they aren't too bad
uk
http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?q=LANPARTY+UT+RDX200+CF-DR
us
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=LANPARTY+UT+RDX200+CF-DR

@ 2007-03-12 20:14   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-03-12 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > I'd like to export the filesystem to windows and Mac OS X boxes, so
>
> nfsserver will allow you to share data with the MAC, and Nigel's aquarela
> should do the windows box; I have had problems with aquarela in the past,
> nothing to do with the quality of the code, more the lack of development.
> If you have problems with it do shout, I know the CIFS protocol pretty well
> these days.

I've tried aquarela -d allcmds, and when I try to get windows XP to
talk to it, it suicides.

smbclient on Mac OS X doesn't seem to care for it either when I do:
smbclient -L <IP> -W PLAN9

Finally, I'm not sure what the share name is?  Plan 9?

Dave

--
- Passage Matthew 5:37:
   But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 household shared file server
@ 2007-03-12 21:10     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-03-12 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

could you post a backtrace and registers?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 household shared file server
@ 2007-03-12 21:42       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-03-12 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/12/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> could you post a backtrace and registers?
>
> - erik

If I knew how to use acid, perhaps :-)

I'll try to get something together tonight.

@ 2007-03-12 21:53     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-03-12 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The share name you you use relates to the name that you
want aquarela to '9fs' to, so you probably want to
use the share named 'boot' - also have a look at the
9fans archives, some info there.

I might have another go tomorrow at work.

If you get suicide from process pid=1234 then
this would be enough to help (note quotes).

barney% echo 'lstk()' | acid 1234 > backtrace.txt

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 household shared file server
@ 2007-03-12 21:56         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-03-12 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/12/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/12/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> > could you post a backtrace and registers?
> >
> > - erik
> >

> If I knew how to use acid, perhaps :-)
>
> I'll try to get something together tonight.

Fastest way I could get this out in a pinch was to use a screenshot :-)

--
- Passage Matthew 5:37:
   But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever
is more than these cometh of evil.

[-- Attachment #2: shot.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 28025 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 household shared file server
@ 2007-03-13 14:04           ` Richard Bilson
From: Richard Bilson @ 2007-03-13 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Fastest way I could get this out in a pinch was to use a screenshot :-)

Wild guess: aquarela must be run as "bootes" so that it can assume the
identity of the user logging in. As I recall, it's not really prepared
to deal with any other circumstance.

What Steve said regarding share names, plus: if you browse your
machine, you'll find a single share named "local" by default. This
will contain whatever is under /n/local. In the default installation
there's nothing there, but you can put things under there or (better,
I think) use /lib/namespace to bind things there.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 household shared file server
@ 2007-03-13 14:22             ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-03-13 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/13/07, Richard Bilson <rcbilson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Fastest way I could get this out in a pinch was to use a screenshot :-)
>
> Wild guess: aquarela must be run as "bootes" so that it can assume the
> identity of the user logging in. As I recall, it's not really prepared
> to deal with any other circumstance.

It's running as bootes if bootes starts it right?  That's what I'm doing :-)

> What Steve said regarding share names, plus: if you browse your
> machine, you'll find a single share named "local" by default. This
> will contain whatever is under /n/local. In the default installation
> there's nothing there, but you can put things under there or (better,
> I think) use /lib/namespace to bind things there.

I usually some directory to /n/local before I start aquarela, then it
runs happily until windows XP tries to map it, and then it suicides.

smbclient from Mac OS X can't seem to get the CHAP stuff right with it.

So so far, I can't use this for a file server :-)

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 household shared file server
@ 2007-03-13 14:29               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-03-13 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i don't run smb so it's difficult for me to say what's wrong.
but it looked to me like the message was malformed.
why don't you breadcrumb around the area of the failure,
i think you can get a lot more information pretty quickly.
you may want to establish that the whole message was received
correctly before doing anything else.  maybe the whole message
isn't being read.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 household shared file server
@ 2007-03-13 20:10               ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-03-13 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I usually some directory to /n/local before I start aquarela, then it
> runs happily until windows XP tries to map it, and then it suicides.

I have not had time to play with aquarela, and my memory is rusty,
however it does need to run as hostowner, and it uses the
inferno/pop password for authenticion so you need one of those.

I still run it at work and start it after keyfs - I cannot
convince myself weather this is important or not.

I _does_ work, weather it supports enough to allow you to run
arbitary windows applications against it is another matter,
however you should be able to get further than this.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 household shared file server
@ 2007-03-13 22:43 ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2007-03-13 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Try WebDAV of Pegasus 2.4.

WebDAV is not a satisfying protocol for us, but is enough for average
users.
Win clients work fine.
OSX clients are slow because of poor behavior of Finder.

Kenji Arisawa

@ 2007-03-13 22:55   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-03-13 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/13/07, arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp <arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Try WebDAV of Pegasus 2.4.
>
> WebDAV is not a satisfying protocol for us, but is enough for average
> users.
> Win clients work fine.
> OSX clients are slow because of poor behavior of Finder.
>
> Kenji Arisawa

I'll gladly try it!

I just found that trying to connect to aquarela with Vista Ultimate does
causes aquarela to report:  "smbcomtreeconnectandx:  called when negotiate
expected"

XP Pro causes aquarela to suicide.

*shrug*

@ 2007-03-14  0:03     ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2007-03-14  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello David,

Pegasus documents are in "http://plan9.aichi-u.ac.jp/pegasus/"
I am afraid that my English is so poor.
Please email to me If you don't understand what to do.

Kenji Arisawa