* [9fans] Parallels on intel Mac
@ 2007-02-09 23:25 arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2007-02-09 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

Recently I retried to install Plan 9 to Parallels on intel Mac.
The Parallels version is RC2(Build 3150 Release Candidate 2 (beta
version)).
The version is much better than current production version.
Now we can install Plan 9 without any special patch.
I tried latest plan9.iso

In VM configuration:
Booting: CD-ROM
	Use image file
		specify plan9.iso
	Connect to: IDE 0:1
Advanced: Enable Intel VT-x support
	"Enable" is OK but might be safe to make disable

Note that: RC2 requires that boot CD-ROM must be IDE:01

In booting process:
	boot from: sdC1!cdboot!9pcflop.gz
	use DMA for ide drive[yes]: no

You will succeed in installing plan9.iso,
However I don't know how to make ether to work.
Does anyone know the configuration?

Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] Parallels on intel Mac
@ 2007-02-10  1:08 ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2007-02-10  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

To get the ethernet card working, you need to use the special kernel
that David Leimbach has on his site. Check the archives for the
correct location.

Thanks,
	Lucho

@ 2007-02-10  1:53   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-02-10  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yeah that kernel was built with patches supplied by JMK who did some
extra kernel coding for that I think.  (It's been a really long time
since I looked at the sources)

I guess if the new ISOs aren't working yet that means that code hasn't
been merged back into the sources repository.

Anyway this is rather outdated
http://mordor.tip9ug.jp/who/leimy/parallels.html

But it does work with 16 bit color modes max in Parallels with the
vesa driver.  I used to have it working with 32bpp, but that's not
working in the latest Parallels beta  or RC.

The network seems to work fine though.

Dave

@ 2007-02-11 14:21     ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2007-02-11 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello David,

> But it does work with 16 bit color modes max in Parallels with the
> vesa driver.  I used to have it working with 32bpp, but that's not
> working in the latest Parallels beta  or RC.
>
> The network seems to work fine though.

Surely the kernel can work with network.
Thanks a lot.

Kenji Arisawa