From: "Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM)" <lyndon@orthanc.ca>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [9fans] different users for different system roles
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 16:45:37 -0800	[thread overview]

hiro writes:
> > should each system role get his own user?
> > Like one user for file servers, one for auth, one for venti, and one for =
> cpu
> > servers.

My was has always been to have a file system user and an auth server
user that are used ONLY for those roles.

As for CPU servers, it really depends on how you use them.  The
main reason you might want to have different CPU server owners is
to control access to physical hardware.  E.g. I have machines that
are used to control my radios via their serial and USB interfaces.
For those, I don't want the "general pupulation" to have access to
that hardware, so I run those servers under a userid that is distinct
from the "general purpose" CPU server owner.

Oh, the Pi I use for bluetooth dev work has its own host owner,
for similar reasons.

I'm sure there are other cases, but that's the only one where I've
personally had a need for multiple host owners.

--lyndon