I did not spend much time on this and am not an authority on IMAP or upas/fs. I could be wrong. >Can you send me an >IMAP protocol trace? (Along with the banner from the server.) The trace is attached. "8.out" is upas/fs with modified erealloc, with the original imap4read, and with line 794 of imap.c changed to read imap->debug = 1; I modified the trace to hide my password. Let me know if you had something else in mind. >What does "not like" mean in this context? It appears the server closed the connection. Since there is no "<-" in the trace following the UID FETCH command, I think the first Brdline call in imap4resp returned zero. If it helps, I can temporarily deliver my mail elsewhere and give you my password to this IMAP server. -dave