* [9fans] UTF-8 font
@ 2014-09-02  6:25 Bao Cheng
From: Bao Cheng @ 2014-09-02  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello 9fans,

I am using 9front, a fork of plan9 in my ThinkPad. I know that plan9
supports unicode but I still find some of Chinese characters display
funny. Is it a font issue or something?

Best wishes,
Cheng

* Re: [9fans] UTF-8 font
@ 2014-09-02  7:00 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2014-09-02  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Is it a font issue or something?

exactly.

It is rare to find a unicode font that has _very_ wide coverage,
though some plan9 fonts are better than others in this respect.

This is not somthing I have used much so hopefully someone will
chime in with font suggestions.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] UTF-8 font
@ 2014-09-02  7:30   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-09-02  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

couldn't you use ttf2subf to get some truetype fonts for the code set that
you need?

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:

> > Is it a font issue or something?
>
> exactly.
>
> It is rare to find a unicode font that has _very_ wide coverage,
> though some plan9 fonts are better than others in this respect.
>
> This is not somthing I have used much so hopefully someone will
> chime in with font suggestions.
>
> -Steve

* Re: [9fans] UTF-8 font
@ 2014-09-03 20:28 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-09-03 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Sep  2 02:47:03 EDT 2014, bc11@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn wrote:
> Hello 9fans,
>
> I am using 9front, a fork of plan9 in my ThinkPad. I know that plan9
> supports unicode but I still find some of Chinese characters display
> funny. Is it a font issue or something?

i would recommend cyberbit which is included with 9atom.  i'd be interested
in hearing your impressions of the characters as i don't speak chinese.

; echo $font
/lib/font/bit/cyberbit/mod14.font

you can copy it with the following commands

	srv -n -q tcp!atom.9atom.org atom &&
		mount $nflag /srv/atom /n/atom atom
	cd /lib/font/bit && mkdir cyberbit &&
		disk/mkfs -z 16000 -vkU -s /n/atta`{pwd} -d . <{echo +}

- erik